WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 0:10 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Does anyone (else) have a small field desk complete out there please, if so can you tell me how the insert of the narrow drawer on the right hand side should look like, specifically the inkwell carrier ...
As you can see from the pics of mine, it isn't quite right, was like this when I got it and I'm getting a bit fed up with it so would like to put it back to what it should be, only thing being I'm not sure what that looks like .. hence the post .. thanks in anticipation ..

Addendum .. I have just acquired another larger field desk, but although there is a lock on it ... there is no inner mechanism, does anyone know where I can get a replacement lock ??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:04 pm 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1926117235 - http://www.history-making.com/?product= ... field-desk - https://www.k-bid.com/auction/3010/item/20021 - these might help a little bit!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:33 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hi ... Thanks .. I did find some pictures, not as clear as the first link you sent though which is a big help ... In looking at the various pictures though there does seem to be some slight differences in the desks ... Mine is 1942 dated and I wonder if the design or style changed as it it did a little with other things ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

As an update on this ... it seems from various pictures that there were very slight differences in these desks, more-so in relation to the right hand drawer and the inserts in it ... it seems that earlier ones had two separate spaces for the two inkwells, whereas later ones had just one long space.

Im looking for a suitable piece of wood to effect a repair on the inkwell holder on mine and also will be making up the missing insert, biggest challenge is going to be matching the color of the wood stain on the originals.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:03 am 

Happy to have helped even a little bit - the variations between each of these desks will come down to manufacturer and whoever was making it on the day at a guess...Any ideas what the wood it is made from? It looks like softwood to me (probably pine) probably with a coat or two of varnish? might be worth looking for an old pine chair or something similar that can act as a donor!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 16:36 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hi, Thanks again really helped ... by way of an update I have managed to cobble together the missing top drawer using the original bottom and pictures from the web as a template .. all I need to do now is to (try and) match the color .. next I need a block of pine about 3 inch square and 4 inches long to try and replace the inkwell block .. onwards and upwards .. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 13:55 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I went with an antique pine stain, there are three coats and it looks a little 'new' as to be expected perhaps, but it will weather in with time and use I think ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 19:24 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

To reconstruct (repair/refurbish) first you have to deconstruct and with care I was able to remove the nails holding the inkwell block in leaving a nice clean area for the replacement and also managed to source a piece of pine block wood slightly larger than that of the removed block, all that remains now is to trim and size that to match the original, a little bit of somewhat fiddly work there to be done ...

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:19 am 

Brilliant work - I dare say the rest of the box was that colour when it was new! You may be able to dull it down/weather it with some brown wax or boot polish! Looking forward to seeing it all complete :-D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:19 am 

Brilliant work - I dare say the rest of the box was that colour when it was new! You may be able to dull it down/weather it with some brown wax or boot polish! Looking forward to seeing it all complete :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 16:34 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Just about there ... maybe ... ?

Eventually managed to get around to sorting out the pine block for the new inkwell .. as I said before not really got the tools or the space but managed it to a point .. I may redo it later. :roll: :wink: Interestingly enough where I have made the replacement out of a solid block the original inkwell, on this field desk anyway, is made up of three parts .. a bottom piece and two halves at the top where the spaces for inkwells are .. Looking at it I can understand why there is a bottom piece, it is to form a base for the holes in the top for the inkwell holders, cant figure out why though the top bit needed to be made in two parts ?

Final (maybe :) ) pictures attached with descriptions, its been an interesting experiment, hopefully I have improved the look of the desk, if not the value .. and it gave me something to do too ... :)

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:02 am 

Probably made from 3 pieces for ease/speed of production. Each piece only having to be cut to length rather than cutting to the overall length and then cutting the bottom of the block to fit the drawer. Drilling straight through the top 2 pieces and then glueing on the bottom gives a better finish but I don't know if it's faster than only drilling to the required depth of the whole block.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 15:24 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Would be one explanation, and make sense the way you put it ...
In all honesty I am not 100% happy with the block I made, I got the diameter wrong for the inkwells, based it on the later one piece gap and I could simply chisel out the sides to make it a one piece but mine was originally two piece gap going by the old block, so I will do it again, this time though using the 1-1/2 inch diameter hole instead of 1-3/4 inch.
I will split it too, so I can drill through and give a better finish.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England