WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 0:47 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 19:32 pm 

Good evening all,
I have just acquired some canvas, fly sheets and a marquee to use the canvas as I restore military and campaign items.
I got the marquee out and it’s too good to use for material with all panels clearly dated as 1944/ 1945.
I know that, although I have the inner roof, I don’t have the outer roof and cannot work out the main poles and believe some may be missing.
The tent (according to my 1946 Handbook of Tentage) is a Tent Marquee, GS, Double (Cat No JA 5693).
Does anyone have one that they show during the season or know someone who does so that I could look at it, have a measure up and plan on making panels and fully restoring the tent?
I know it’s a long shot as I haven’t seen any about but worth a try.
Please see the photo from the book. The maker of mine is Waring & Gillow LTD.
Many thanks, Neil.

Attachment:
4B95F77E-50B1-4988-A8E4-E6756A1FF840.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 21:24 pm 

Dear all,

unbelievably, I have picked up that the 1946 War Office ‘Handbook of Tentage’ is actually incorrect (in a big way according to my marquee) so no wonder that I couldnt work it out.

The equipment list states enough poles for three centre poles but mine has two and on further reading, it gives instructions to hoist the three centre poles together, however, both my marquee and the photo in the book clearly show only two poles.

Therefore, when publishing the book, the War Office typist has ‘cut and pasted’ from the instructions of another marquee.

I cannot believe an error of this nature could occur in such a manual but there you have it.

This sorts out my pole problem but still looking for an outer roof (JA1588) if anyone has a lead (even in disrepair to copy).

Neil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Are you absolutely sure about that .. ?? There are tents, I have seen and helped erect a couple, where the 'third' (middle) pole is what I would call a blind one, that is to say it is designed so the spike is just long enough to go through the ridge pole (possibly at a joint) but does not protrude through the fabric at the ridge .. just because you can't see a third pole in that picture does not definitely indicate there are only two poles in use .. and is in fact a good example of how period pictures, from a research point of view, do not necessarily tell the whole story.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 18:29 pm 

Allen,
Well there’s a point.
I obviously won’t be able to tell by the inner roof as there may be no hole but will take a look at what I believe are the ridge pole sections.
The previous owners may have discarded the ‘blind pole’, thinking they didn’t actually need it.
In a nutshell, I could just add one anyway but it would be good to definately know.
Thanks for the reply and idea.
Much appreciated.
Neil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:09 pm 

Allen,
I have just checked the ridge pole sections and I think you’re spit on.
Each of the two sections have a collar on the end (for the marquee spikes) and are connected with a steel collar with holes the same diameter for a ‘support’ or ‘blind’ pole.
The previous user had put a bolt through to join them and possibly used it without the support pole.
My only question is what would stop the centre spike rubbing the canvas the other side?
I will check the roof this week to see if there’s a piece of leather or reinforcing canvas in the centre.
I’m going to replace at least 50% of the main poles so will make a blind pole to restore this marquee to original spec.
Neil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:48 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Hi Neil ... re the middle pole, the spike is just long enough so that it ends level with the top of the ridge pole ... that way it does not rub as such but just lets the top of the tent rest along the ridgepole as a whole.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...