WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:53 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 16:28 pm 

Attachment:
DSC01460.JPG
Attachment:
DSC01462.JPG

Just wondering if anyone could identify this string vest. I've been sold it as original NOS and WW2 British. Now it looks nothing like the WW2 British string vests I've seen previously.

The weave is very loose and there are no tags of any description. I thought the originals were made of one continuous piece of string, this one has a few knots over it.

To me it just looks all wrong, happy to be corrected, the seller wants me to prove it's not original until he will give me a refund. So it's over to the massed ranks of the forum for info.

I purposely refrained from using the name of Airborne string vest, as the vests were I believe general issue.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 19:46 pm 

I think you are right to have your doubts. This doesn't conform to either of the WW2 patterns for British macrame string vests (eg DB Gordon's Uniforms of the WWII Tommy PP 224-5). The seller's attitude leaves a lot to be desired. I'd suggest that he/she needs to prove the provenance for this thing. If bought on Ebay you don't need to prove anything to the sellers satisfaction. Even if the seller has a no returns policy you can open a case if the item is not as described. Ebay will adjudicate. At best it may be an Indian made item but I'd like to see a photo of anything similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 18:34 pm 
Supporter

Group: Reduit im Luft Neutral Airforces Swiss & Dutch
I would look to something issued for a particular campaign, Norway, Korea etc.

An article on this subject, shows an airborne string vest with a White & Sons Label and Broad Arrow marking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:43 am 

Group: 7 Para, California Historical Society
In the book "Into The Maelstrom", the author mentions that the Canadian paras were issued with British string vests but manufactured about 1000 string vests of their own and tested them in Northern Canada in the winter of 44/45. He mentioned that unlike the British string vest, the loops were 1" wide. Your pictured vest fits that description. As only about a 1000 Canadian vest were made, it could be a rare item or just a clone of the Canadian version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 19:56 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just let eBay rule on this one, as it will be covered by eBays rules. I will get reimbursed and still keep the vest. As I now have curiosity after reading rbeaz505pir's reply.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:14 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
This may not help you, but of interest: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jul ... alarchives

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:18 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
See also: http://thecanadiansoldier.com/2015/10/2 ... ring-vest/