WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 17:05 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Haworth 2018
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 13:51 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Anyone doing Haworth this year, a week to go now ...

Being run I'm told by a US re-enactment group this year, holding a battle too, something new for Haworth, but with the spectre of Pickering I can't help wondering about any possible fall out because of 'Axis' troops being around ... I'm not talking about genuine German re-enactors ... but the idiot wally brigade again, Haworth certainly seems to draw them in of later years.

Info here is anyone wants to know more ..... http://haworths1940sweekend.com/

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Haworth 2018
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 14:00 pm 

I'll be there. Defiantly interested to see what changes there are this year!

I'll be there with a friend as a P-47 pilots. feel free to say hi!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 14:05 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

You cant miss me I think ..... :) ... look forward to meeting with you

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 16:50 pm 

The choice is do you stay in all day and watch someone you will never see get married or go to Haworth ?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 16:53 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hmmm .. now let me see ... :? ... :wink:

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 15:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Think I'll stay at home..the idea of a stampede of strollers appeals rather less than the wedding of two people I don't even know

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 21:37 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

A good weekend I think, all in all the organisers pulled it off, a few teething problems perhaps, but for a first time out they seem to have thought it through and covered most bases, there was a feel of the old Haworth weekend to it all instead of the free for all that recent years have had. Hopefully the 'post mortem' with the local council etc. will go well and the event can continue next year.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 am 

it was great putting a name or two to faces this weekend. I really enjoyed it as I always do but I felt it was a bit lacking in re-enactors this year..... I'm presuming there were more on the battlefield but we didnt manage to watch that. The park is now more set up as a funfair for kids but i suppose thats not such a bad thing as there was plenty to keep them entertained.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Yes, nice to meet with you too ... I think the rearrangement of the park was about crowd control, the bar was this year up in the car park, I was told too that the burger vans etc in the park were asked to close at a certain time instead of being open most of the night as before ?

Overall I think it went well, .. a lack or re-enactors ... maybe, but the event has suffered a bit over the years and some stayed away because of that, perhaps in the future they will come back .. i did see the idiot dress up brigade but they seemed to be keeping a low profile for a change.

I think the organisers pulled it off, a difficult thing to do after last years debacle, lets hope they can .. and want to .. carry on next year.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 21:53 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
I think they may come up against it..lots of unhappy residents re noise and parking.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Respectfully Kate .. three words .. you weren't there .. !!

Its true there were some issues, but there are always issues with noise and parking, this year in taking the beer tent out of the public park and putting it in a controlled area helped with that, every event has issues with noise disruption etc etc.

Regarding the parking, there is an area in Haworth at the rear of the railway station, quite a wide road with little or no restrictions for the most part, for those in the know if you get there early you can park all day free of charge, my point, I was told by one of the organisers that at one point the traffic wardens had gone round and ticketed every vehicle in that area, apparently some folks, and you always get them sadly had taken it a little to far and caused minor obstruction, however later on the wardens went around and removed all of those tickets, they had no authority to issue them it seem, I fully expected that on Sunday that area may have been coned of .. it wasn't thankfully.

So yes, some issues, all events have them, but lets at least put them in perspective.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:52 am 

As the event has gone steadily downhill since 2011, I also stayed away this year. Some of my colleagues did however pop along for the Sunday.

They said that the new organisers have made a great first attempt at transforming the event back to its 'old self', which was good to hear. I think the old organisers advertised the event nationwide, without much thought to the sheer numbers of people this would bring in. Therefore, what used to be a nice cosy event which took place primarily on Main Street, the flood of visitors forced it out into the Park and surrounding areas. Still, this prompted the involvement of the local heritage railway which was ultimately a good thing.

Unfortunately, Haworth has always suffered from the 'dress-up brigade', but as soon as more of the genuine re-enactors realise that the event is returning to its roots, they may start to flood back.

Also worthy of note is that although the event has previously come under the microscope of the 'PC Brigade' (with a view to German re-enactors), this was not the case this year. Always remember that the entire village is open to the public, and therefore anyone is welcome in whatever uniforms they choose. Unlike Levisham Station on the Pickering event (which I am led to believe is private property), German re-enactors cannot be prohibited from attending. Previous objections raised in the local and national press by certain 'gobby' individuals can be readily discounted. Haworth is open to ALL re-enactors.

All things considered, I shall definitely be back next year!