WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 23:15 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 13:20 pm 

Hello,

Can anyone advise as to whether as Panzerschreck blast shield is legal to own in the U.K. Or where I could find out from an official source?

Just to be clear, it's just the shield and not the rest of the Panzerschreck as I realise that this would be restricted etc. I just wonder if the shield is a restricted part.

I hope this makes sense.
Much appreciated,

T

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 14:03 pm 

I own a WW1 German sniper shield T, which has been on display at my exhibitions with other exhibitors, and the police have been present with no problem.

Gerwyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 18:27 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Non pressure bearing...

The key test is, without the shield, would the weapon still function. Of course it would - wouldnt be fun, but yes it would.

Equivalent of say a buttstock on a rifle - you could fire a rifle without it, but you'd hurt yourself. The butt is not part of the discharge of shot or projectile.

You might of course get a knock up from the plod for importing it - a friend of mine did when buying a backsight for a BAR... or another for handguards for an Uzi.... despite both being utterly legal. They like to intimidate...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 19:28 pm 

You could call 101 and see if you can get a official response, but like I said, its a shield just like my sniper one.

Gerwyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 21:26 pm 
4000+ Poster

Me: "hello is that the Police? I'd like to ask you if this bit of a Nazi rocket launcher is alright for me to own"...

*sound of screeching tyres*

*sound of front door being smashed*

Police: "Armed police! Get on the floor!"

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:37 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
pioneer64 wrote:
I own a WW1 German sniper shield T, which has been on display at my exhibitions with other exhibitors, and the police have been present with no problem.

Gerwyn

I wouldn't be too glib about that Gerwyn, many years ago, I had an inert original Winchester 73, inert in as much as the barrel was blocked and it had no firing pin. Like your shield I too used it on displays and carried it in shows, like you the police had seen it many times with no problem .... until the day I had a knock on the door and was asked about it by my local firearms officer, why I still don't know ..??
To cut a long story short he went away reasonably happy, however he was back a week later telling me his bosses wanted it testing by forensics ... next thing I know I was charged with having a section 1 without a certificate .. seems forensics cleared the barrel, put a firing pin in it then fired it ... go figure .. I would love to see the brief they were given at the time ... it got thrown out, the only way I could have the gun back though was to have it de-acted (I had to pay for that) it got butchered and I got over £800 compensation from them for that.

My point being .. please don't be too complacent with what you have ..as legal as you are sure it is ... !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:25 pm 

Not Glib Allen, I've been a collector for many years and put on exhibitions in schools and others places, T asked for any help on owning a metal blast shield which his what it his with no firing attachment, no one has comeback to him saying its legal or not yet, I can only go by my experiences, and to further it, I mentioned the 101 No, knowing they would probably not know what a Panzerschreck blast shield was, but it was a place to start. As for things being legal or not you only have to go to the arms fairs, not complacent Allen I'm like you to long in the tooth :wink: :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:42 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I am sure you are not being either Gerwyn, bad choice of words perhaps ?

I just wanted to illustrate that no matter what we have, what we do, we can never be sure that somewhere, somehow it may go pear shaped one day through no fault of our own.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 19:08 pm 

Your right Allen, we walk on a knifes edge these days.

Gerwyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 15:43 pm 
4000+ Poster

pioneer64 wrote:
As for things being legal or not you only have to go to the arms fairs

Do you mean that if its on open sale its bound to be legal?

NCA sweeps of the big fairs suggest that's not always the case ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 19:19 pm 

Andrei Kozlov wrote:
pioneer64 wrote:
As for things being legal or not you only have to go to the arms fairs

Do you mean that if its on open sale its bound to be legal

NCA sweeps of the big fairs suggest that's not always the case ;-)[/qu

What I meant, not all things being sold are legal to sell, that's only my opinion on what I have seen :wink:

Gerwyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:25 am 

Items that are restricted are the load bearing parts i.e. the bits that launch the projectile.

e.g. the bolt, breach & barrel, hence the cutting welding and blocking. Grenade launchers that assist the launch of projectiles are also restricted.

Bazookas 'tubes' are restricted hence the bars...

Items such as stocks, sights the furniture is not, your shield is not either...

Now I am no expert but in reading the rules and looking at the furniture for sale out the in www. land I would put 1p on it be right

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 19:28 pm 

Makes you wonder if buying a trigger guard, constitutes the making of a complete one.

Gerwyn