WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 22:47 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:20 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
More bad news... A letter circulated to DWA members on Monday:

"Dear Public Members,

Many of you will remember that as part of the EU Firearms Directive, the Rapporteur Vicky Ford introduced a requirement for the European Commission to review the Deactivation Regulation. The purpose of this review was to clarify the technical processes specified as many of these in the original Regulation were unclear, open to interpretation or technically difficult/impossible to achieve.

On Thursday last week a revised Regulation was published containing a number of amendments to the original Regulation (which still applies). In particular, a new set of processes for the deactivation of each firearms type. These new standards will come into force on Thursday June 28th 2018.

It will probably come as no surprise to you that the Commission has gone way beyond the remit set by IMCO in the revised Directive and through this Regulation, are introducing a deactivation standard that can only be described as draconian in the extreme. Their rationale for this is to meet the requirements of Article 9 (b) of the UN Protocol Against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, …

The new Regulation is attached to this email for your information, but in brief, for all firearms types, trigger mechanisms have to be destroyed and essential parts captivated. This will effectively mean that no deactivated firearm will have a working dry-fire action and none will be able to be field stripped. Other requirements are broadly in line with the existing EU requirements with some limited differences. We are still looking at the detail but based on our current understanding:

· Semi Automatic Pistols – slide will move along with the hammer (if there is one). The trigger may move, but there will be no physical connection between it and the hammer/striker.

· Revolvers – hammer will move; the cylinder may also rotate. The trigger may move, but there will be no physical connection between it and the hammer. The cylinder will move out of the frame on the crane or for break action revolvers, the action will break open.

· Bolt Action Rifle/Shotgun – bolt will move back and forth but will not remove from action or indeed cock the action. The trigger may move, but there will be no physical connection between it and the sear.

· Single/Double Barreled Shotgun – the action will break but the barrels will not remove from it. The trigger(s) may move, but there will be no physical connection between it/them and the hammer(s). On a hammer gun, the hammers will move under spring pressure, but won’t lock back.

· Pump Action Shotgun – the pump arm will move and may also move the breech block. The trigger may move, but there will be no physical connection between it and the firing mechanism.

· Assault Rifles, LMG/HMG and SMG – largely the same.

As last time, there may be some UK interpretations of these standards and/or additional UK processes. Many of the above will be more technically challenging to achieve, will require more gunsmithing time and for some makes and models, may not be achievable.

Going forward, the situation is therefore bleak for both your hobby and our businesses.

Sadly, the Commission has chosen to inflict yet further pain on us by making the new requirements retrospective for any firearm deactivated to the current EU Regulation. To be clear, this means that you can still legally own existing EU deactivated firearms from 28th June, but you can not sell or otherwise transfer them without first having them re-deactivated to the new standards. This was strongly challenged in a recent IMCO scrutiny session by MEPs, but the Commission has simply ignored the protestations made and pushed it through anyway.

We know that you will be disappointed, upset and very probably enraged by this news. Our trade members are once again facing huge bills to re-deactivate their stock to a standard that will inevitably make it more difficult to sell. Once again, your collections have been devalued with no consideration of compensation or indeed the historical importance of items in private collections. We hope that you will take the time to share your unhappiness with your local MP – asking them to query the situation and its implications with the Minister.

We have requested a meeting with the Home Office and Proof Masters to discuss the implementation of this Regulation. The DWA also has a meeting with Nick Hurd, the Policing, etc. Minister in a couple of weeks. We have a further meeting with representatives from the gun trade, Home Office and Parliament this coming week. There is undoubtedly an air of disappointment from the powers that be regarding the EU’s response to the Regulation review and specifically to its retrospective nature. The DWA will also investigate legal options although, as previously, these may well be limited.

On a more positive note, the equivalency exercise to assess whether UK legacy deactivated firearms are of equivalent ‘safety/security’ to the EU spec is underway with the first meeting having taken place recently. A positive outcome in this exercise would of course allow them to be sold again. We are cautiously optimistic based on the feedback from this meeting, but the process does still have a long way to go. We will of course keep you updated as and when we know more".

You can see the new specs in their full horror here. Effective June 2018:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 37&from=EN

BUT, remember that as with the 2016 changes this won't be enforceable until it is added into UK law - which would have to be done prior to March 2019.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

Last edited by peregrinvs on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 18:23 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Yeah awesome isn't it...

Imagine the fun of having to redeac your stock again if you are selling UK/EU spec that you've only just spent money on.

peregrinvs wrote:
BUT, remember that as with the 2016 changes this won't be enforceable until it is added into UK law - which would have to be done prior to March 2019.

Looks like we have a transition period of at least 2 years coming and during that time we need to keep adopting EU law...

So, if this passes in Brussels we'll definitely be getting it.

I'm guessing the Home Office won't be anti this anyway...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 21:48 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
And then you’d have to hope people would still want to buy them after being so badly chopped up. I won’t be surprised if various dealers decide to call it a day after this.

Having read the wording of the 2017 Act, it just says ‘the specifications in force at the time’. Presumably very little legal effort is required to change them?

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 23:22 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
The really frustrating thing about all this as I see it though is that what they are doing is ineffective in as much as the object of the exercise, what we are told it is done for, ie; to stop criminals getting hold of guns, isn't working at all ... as with all of the legislation enacted since Hungerford and Dunblane, it hasn't done thing one to stop the bad guys getting guns, all it has achieved is to penalise and stop innocent law abiding people to freely have and collect pieces of history, re-enactors from being able to freely have the weapons specific to the era they choose to re-enact, shooting as a hobby to be strangled etc etc.

I was always taught that (real) gun control was about being able to hit the target .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
peregrinvs wrote:
Having read the wording of the 2017 Act, it just says ‘the specifications in force at the time’. Presumably very little legal effort is required to change them?

Ahh yes, didn't they move the technical detail to a Home Office standards document that isn't ever approved by parliament?

Much cheapness in government, good tax payer value, assuming that you don't believe that their are democratic issues at stake in doing so.

Are there any other examples of legislation written like that? I can't think of any off hand...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 22:56 pm 
Supporter

Group: Reduit im Luft Neutral Airforces Swiss & Dutch
They're not daft. This is all done, knowing that our Home Oblast Zivil Zervantz will always enforce, and some, every piece of rubbish that the e.u produces. In so doing, our euro-zombies will effectively kill-off the previously successful deac industry, destroy said items as reliable investments and nest eggs, help wreck reenactment and film industry. Meanwhile, terrorists and criminals still obtain working firearms through the black market.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 0:04 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
maquis wrote:
Meanwhile, terrorists and criminals still obtain working firearms through the black market.

As I said .... none of it all has done one thing at all to stop the bad guys getting them ... right ... ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 13:13 pm 

maquis wrote:
They're not daft. This is all done, knowing that our Home Oblast Zivil Zervantz will always enforce, and some, every piece of rubbish that the e.u produces. In so doing, our euro-zombies will effectively kill-off the previously successful deac industry, destroy said items as reliable investments and nest eggs, help wreck reenactment and film industry. Meanwhile, terrorists and criminals still obtain working firearms through the black market.

True Justin, the law abiding, will pay for the non law abiding, and we all know it will not stop gun crime by taken our hobby/interest away from us. But the ones who think they know better, think it will.