WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 20:31 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 18:38 pm 

Group: None
Hi all, having difficulty in finding out what type of material was used for the black tie of an executive officer?

In the book Martin J Brayley WW2 Naval uniforms it states under the officer section simply a 'black tie' but further on under Chief Petty officer it states a 'black silk tie', then a bit further on again a 'black tie' for Petty officer and below ranks.

So the book looks like it suggests that the Chief Petty officer had a special tie? - is that correct? - which then leads me back to - what material was the executive officers tie made from? also when that is known, was it a:

1/Shiny tie?
2/Matt tie?

Anybody know what the sizes were - were they different to the modern day navy tie?

I know its all a bit trivial - but its just one of those things that's bugging me to death!

Many thanks

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 21:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
Black silk reppe.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:53 am 

The_Commander wrote:
Black silk reppe.

Fantastic - what a wonderful amount of knowledge you have sir!

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:28 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I use an RAF tie when I re-enact RN officer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 16:39 pm 
1000+ Poster

I use a proper silk one from Gieves..... £70 when I bought it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:11 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Flash swine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 13:29 pm 
1000+ Poster

I even bought it in they're Saville row premises rather than online....

― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 21:48 pm 

Thanks for the all the info - have now got a genuine Naval Black Silk Reppe tie on its way - got to look the proper part you know!

Second mortgage taken (phew)