WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:52 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 23:37 pm 

Group: USN FMF corpsman vet, WESTPAC '67-'71
I recently learned the British Army acquired some US Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 (Garand) platforms via Lend-Lease. Looking for information regarding these rifles. How many, when were they received, who got them, where were they deployed and what was their final inventory disposition. I have been told by old Corps vets from Korea, that 500 Royal Marines of the 41 Royal Marine Commando, attached to Major General Oliver P. "Howlin' Mad" Smith' 1st US Marine Division, at the Frozen Chosin,, Korea, had Garands.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:41 am 
3000+ Poster

The latter is correct, 41 R.M. Commando were completely re-equipped with American weapons and clothing from U.S. Army stocks when they arrived in theatre. They conducted raiding operations along the coast and were eventually "adopted" by the 1st Marine Division, forming 'Task force Drysdale' at Chosin. Re: the Garands supplied to Britain during W.W.2, I believe there are posts relating to them in the British 'Home Guard' section of the board that explains things, from what I recall the majority were returned at the end of the war. I did read a very interesting orbat for 'light' scale in Commando units circa 1945 and according to that 40 M1 Garands with grenade launcher attachment were allocated, along with lots of Bren guns, though it doesn't specify if that's per Troops or the total for the Commando. It may well have been a theoretical Orbat, but there must have still been stocks on Garands available to Commando units around that time.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:41 am 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Can confirm this, we had a Korea RM vet in who brought some pictures from his time in country and he was in beret, smock and garand with ammo belt. Will see if I can dig out the pictures. My favirote line from him was

"As Royal Marines we were used to landing quietly, undetected. Landing with the yanks was an bit different, they loved there 50. cals.."

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 20:29 pm 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Two of the pictures he brought in, hope they're of use

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:13 am 

Thank you, gentlemen. Interesting photos. The second photo shows a British infantryman packing a SMLE. I knew some jarheads who had made the retreat from the Reservoir to Hungnam. They were mainly senior NCOs and field grade officers in my time and we regarded them as god like examples of Marines. Also knew a Chief Petty Officer Fleet Marine Force Navy corpsman who was there. I heard comments you may find interesting.

Reading the RM. "They are Marines. Enough said"
"The Bren is an excellent base of fire weapon, better than the BAR."

"I don't understand why hard ass Marines would want to wear a French foo-foo hat".

"Was nice to see Royal Marines. We figured that meant we would not be abandoned by the brass hats."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:35 am 

Shifty wrote:
Can confirm this, we had a Korea RM vet in who brought some pictures from his time in country and he was in beret, smock and garand with ammo belt. Will see if I can dig out the pictures. My favirote line from him was

"As Royal Marines we were used to landing quietly, undetected. Landing with the yanks was an bit different, they loved there 50. cals.."

The Ma Deuce (.50 BMG) is still in use after 96 years. US Army has announced they are being retired.
On the other hand, The M14 was removed as the main battle rifle in 1968. My #2 son reported that the marksmen in his Abrams company were in intense competition to be issued a M14EBR, and the number being issued per company is creeping up. He said he wished he could have brought his personal M1A. It was the only available rifle capable of countering the range of the mudg SMLE's.

Son, and his rifles.

Last edited by corpsman on Sat Nov 14, 2015 21:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 14:26 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

some M1s and american kit was issued to troops-pretty certain they were RM- for the Torch landings.The idear to make them more american looking so as not to upset the french.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 14:42 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
snowyx2622 wrote:
some M1s and american kit was issued to troops-pretty certain they were RM- for the Torch landings.The idear to make them more american looking so as not to upset the french.

It was anticipated that seeing British uniforms would just make them resist harder. Quite a bit of truth to that.

A good book on the cubject.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Englands-Last-W ... 0753827050

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 21:40 pm 

snowyx2622 wrote:

The French are a rather sensitive lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:40 am 

Those of you who re-enact American units... what do you use for Garands? Are they real, copies, air-soft, or dewats? How do you obtain them?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:41 am 

Group: Thunder From Heaven
Deacs, can buy them at shows / fairs

EX THUNDER FROM HEAVEN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 19:14 pm 

Thank you. Pardon my curiosity. I am interested in lore and facts regarding the Garand, Mosin Ngant, K31 and SMLE. I really like the SMLE and Swiss K31. The former for its speed of application and the latter for its remarkable accuracy. One thing I have learned is that while the Garand is very prevalent in the US and Canada, most owners have little knowledge of the manual of arms. It simply is no longer taught, the original practitioners are dying off and with 50 plus years of the Armalite platform and its focus on CQB and area of fire, the Garand and stripper clip feed of most bolt action battle rifles MoA is now largely forgotten. So, I teach, especially young soldiers and Marines. I learned from my now 97 year old father during the 50''s and '60's. So, I am curious what is done with respect to MoA in reenactor organizations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 21:33 pm 

Marine Commandos supervising repatriation of Japanese troops at Fan Ling, in the New Territories, Hong Kong, at the end of the war.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 21:37 pm 

41 (Independent) RM Commando laying beehive charges on a railway line in North Korea during a coastal raid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 21:40 pm 

41 Cmndo training in Japan. The weapons were issued from US ordnance stocks at Camp Mackall, Yokosuka, Japan