WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 22:03 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Group: 90ID LHG
Hi guys.

I'm getting myself a second pair of jumpboots for my a class. To keep nicely polished up.
I am just wondering, what is more authentic, Dark tan or Oxblood polish? My current jumpboots are dark tan. I have googled and found nothing. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Also tips on how to make them look like "glass" would be most welcome ;) I've tried all sorts but can't seem to get achieve it

Thanks.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 16:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: GI44-45
Any sort of 'brown' boot polish is absolutely fine. Ultimately it will all deliver the same results.

As for getting them like glass I think that is more of a modern day Brit thing. Yes they did highly polish there jump boots but don't get the 2 things confused. However if that is the way you want to go then YouTube will be your friend, plenty of advice on there.

brought my battalion to the briefing prior to Normandy, I had the finest combat-ready force of its size that will ever be known. By the time I gathered them together in Normandy, half were gone. I charge you: put us down in Holland or put us down in hell, but put us all down
together in one place, or I will hound you to your graves."

Lt. Col. Mendez, Commanding Officer 3rd Bn 508th PIR 82nd Abn Div

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 23:53 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Group: 90ID LHG
jon_short wrote:
Any sort of 'brown' boot polish is absolutely fine. Ultimately it will all deliver the same results.

As for getting them like glass I think that is more of a modern day Brit thing. Yes they did highly polish there jump boots but don't get the 2 things confused. However if that is the way you want to go then YouTube will be your friend, plenty of advice on there.

Hello.

Thanks for the reply mate. Searching Youtube as we speak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:07 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
I use Kiwi Parade gloss dark tan and build up the layers of polish and introduce water as Im putting the polish on. I usually alternate between polish and then water using a soft cotton cloth, like and old shirt, not a duster, something which doesnt ball up and then apply polish at the same time as water. This usually creates a dark very shinny layer especially over the toe cap but can be susceptible to cracking and once scuffed will chip off and generally need to be started from the beginning to even out the colours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 17:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Hangtough506th
The colour of original boots vary but the official colour was a russet brown. All of my original jump boots are different though, some later war boots made by Endicott Johnson were much more of a purple brown.

Boy: what did you get Ben....?
Me: A T-5 parachute
Friends: ??????

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 22:03 pm 
3000+ Poster

Hmmm Oxblood. Very 1st CPB. Tempted to do mine in Oxblood as it's a nice dark colour.