WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 16:22 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:19 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
I stumbled across a photo showing Italian infantry (in battledress) riding on a Churchill tank in 1945. Here is the photo:

Churchill tank of ‘C’ Squadron, North Irish Horse carrying Italian infantry of 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry (Italian), north of Castel Borsetti, 2 March 1945

Found here: http://modelhobby.eu/2012/08/british-co ... -in-italy/

This piqued my interest and a quick bit of googling found this wiki article.

Quote:
On 28 September 1943, the Italian Co-Belligerent Army began when its first military unit was formed in tented reorganization camps near Lecce. Some of the first soldiers in this unit had just barely managed to escape internment by the Germans.[1] In accordance with Royal Army Order 70/V, the Italian First Motorized Combat Group (1• Raggruppamento Motorizzato) was created. The unit included elements of two divisions of the old Italian Royal Army: The 18 Infantry Division Messina and the 58 Infantry Division Legnano[2] The First Motorized Combat Group had a strength of 295 officers and 5,387 men.
The first action of the First Motorized Combat Group was in the Cassino sector at Monte Lungo. This action did much to remove the Allied distrust of the Italian soldiers fighting on their side.[3] The unit suffered heavy casualties and performed well enough.[2]
Following service with the American 5th Army and re-organization, the First Motorized Combat Group was transferred to the Polish II Corps on the extreme left of the British 8th Army.[3]

Read the rest of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Co ... 44_to_1945

It seems quite an interesting and little known side of the war. Anyone have any good photos of them? Or any recommendations as to websites etc.?

Has anyone here portrayed these troops?

Cheers
Joe

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:48 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Camerata,
The Wearing of BD but with Italiano insignia does add to the Scale of Issue.

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:15 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Mediterraneo WW2 Italian Reenactment Group
The co belligerant side is sadly lacking although some of us are slowly getting bits and pieces together to show off the part the italians played on the allied side. Italian involvment in the war is generally sadly lacking apart from our selves, me ne frego and a few inspired individuals who know the feel of itchy GV uniformi and the taste of grappa the next day, rising from the very depths of our intestinal tract.

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Telo Tenda Mimetico Modello 1929. Keeping Farbs dry at night since 1978

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]
http://ww2italianreenactment.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:51 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Co-belligerant is interesting from a historical point of view - in so much as I doubt many of joe public know that it happened.

Danger is with it as a reenactment concept is that you are just another brown job in a field of brown jobs.

I did look at rebadging my BD a while back but in the end it sort of got lost as an idea.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 17:47 pm 

We tried doing similar when we did British, badged up as a unit in Italy, had all the info out for it, got desert kit as well, used combos of the two, but it completely failed. Glad to wear the Grigio Verde though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
SuperMario wrote:
Italian involvment in the war is generally sadly lacking apart from our selves, me ne frego and a few inspired individuals who know the feel of itchy GV uniformi and the taste of grappa the next day, rising from the very depths of our intestinal tract.

Neil

Si Camerati, it is a calling much like the Priesthood but without the interest in little boys.

The Sacred GV is a benediction and madness to find its one true form, as the fevered ravings of Camerata Elsan have taught me

i gentiluomini stand with their Camerati, Mediterraneo e me ne frego in the respectful depiction of Italiano Marshal might.

:D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 14:33 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
Odd question for you all. Do any of you know anything about the regimental numbers given to individual soldiers in the Co-Belligerent army?

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org