WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 22:53 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: Alamo Scouts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 16:09 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
Things are never black or white are they Gordon!

I dont really think my comments above are about what color, what size or what religion, I think its all about authenticity in general, I believe there to be another thread running along the same lines somewhere on here!

Like I have said and will say again, the originator is free to do as he pleases, if he enjoys doing it and is getting something out of it fair play, but it dont make the impression correct, IF there were no Black Soldiers in the Scouts and the Uniform worn in the impression is incorrect then why are people saying well done and not commenting on the obvious. People would if it were Easy Company 506th being represented would they not.

I contacted the originator of the thread to gain info, as I have an interest in the Scouts, pictures were posted up I had never seen before, perhaps info was available I did not know about which would confirm or not the use of Army Pattern two piece Camo HBT. No answer even though PM read. Next the originator posts a paragraph stating he does not care if Black soldiers served in the scouts or not, he is doing it come what may. So was two piece Camo used /worn by the scouts, I guess he also does not care if they were or not, he has them so is going to wear them. Again fair play, his hobby his kit his reputation, but it makes the impression incorrect and all people are saying is well done! For what exactly! Dont understand, please explain Gordon if you can!

By the way, thought his other work was great, although I know less about the Red Tails than I do the Alamo Scouts :wink:

Regards to all

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:23 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: "They Led the Way"
As I cant get onto my laptop at the moment I cant moderate properly, when I can this thread will be cleaned up. If the personal insults continue in the meantime the guilty user WILL be suspended.

Wullie

Wullie Mulgrew CSRT
http://theyledtheway.freeforums.org/index.php

http://www.facebook.com/theyledtheway.

Rangers Lead The Way!

https://www.wisepropertycare.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:32 pm 
3000+ Poster

Mahfoud wrote:
Because for me the color of reenactor is not important when he want to honor troopers..

i must admit asking on the other thread about whether he had considered the segregated nature of the american armed forced prior to 1948 and to tell the truth I agree with him. Color isn't important because this is a hobby that everyone can portray anything they want, just to various degrees of accuracy.

The OP has some fantastic impressions. Some not so fantastic. Still they're all better that what I can do unless he decides to portray a fat middle aged british TA rear area clerk from London.

trouble is with this place is some people can't take even the slightest hint of critism

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:52 pm 

Group: fssf
FAAA wrote:
Things are never black or white are they Gordon!

I dont really think my comments above are about what color, what size or what religion, I think its all about authenticity in general, I believe there to be another thread running along the same lines somewhere on here!

Like I have said and will say again, the originator is free to do as he pleases, if he enjoys doing it and is getting something out of it fair play, but it dont make the impression correct, IF there were no Black Soldiers in the Scouts and the Uniform worn in the impression is incorrect then why are people saying well done and not commenting on the obvious. People would if it were Easy Company 506th being represented would they not.

I contacted the originator of the thread to gain info, as I have an interest in the Scouts, pictures were posted up I had never seen before, perhaps info was available I did not know about which would confirm or not the use of Army Pattern two piece Camo HBT. No answer even though PM read. Next the originator posts a paragraph stating he does not care if Black soldiers served in the scouts or not, he is doing it come what may. So was two piece Camo used /worn by the scouts, I guess he also does not care if they were or not, he has them so is going to wear them. Again fair play, his hobby his kit his reputation, but it makes the impression incorrect and all people are saying is well done! For what exactly! Dont understand, please explain Gordon if you can!

By the way, thought his other work was great, although I know less about the Red Tails than I do the Alamo Scouts :wink:

Regards to all

Lee

Yes but some people don't have the money or resources to get the right equipment but won't to remember/represent the units that were in the war. Yes he has chosen to discard what ever race the guys were to represent them as best he can and that is perfectly fine. And he said that he is KNOWS that they may not of had the two piece HBT's but has mentioned that. I don't think we should be criticizing on something the man knows do you?

All i'm trying to say is that if you are going to crises then point out things that he might of missed and not ranting about the same thing and getting into a peti argument about it.

But maybe im just to young to understand the importants of being exactly right, then remembering the people who fought.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 20:37 pm 
2000+ Poster

I'm all for constructive critism,but not when it comes to bullying. That goes for all who have posted.
Lets be fair our age ,stature and physical capabilities do have a lot to be desired. So we work with best material God has left us with.
Ok uniform is a bit dodgy,but the guy put his hands up to that one.Have n't we all worn dodgy uniforms at some time in or reenacting career? Or the incorrect wearing of equipment and knives etc.
The young should be encouraged and I am sure that Lee was only on the constuctive critism bracket,however it could have been put a little more tactfully.
Shall we all take a pace backwards from this and calm down.
If you want to see some dodgy uniforms look into detatchment 101 better know as the Kachin Raiders a pretty bizarre outfit that operated behind Japanese lines stirring up the locals to resist the Japanese,thier dress code was FARBS paradise a mixture of American(Infantry and Airborne uniforms), British and local civilian clothing plus a few Japanese weapons and kit.
Loosely portrayed in a Frank Sinatra movie None but the Brave I believe the title was,only the uniforms were just too uniform to be credible. I don't really know under who's control they fell propably OSS.I doubt if the Army could cope with anything like this it worked very similar to the A and B teams that were used by Special Force in Nam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 20:56 pm 
3000+ Poster

not "none but the Brave" which was about the US marines shot down on a little island - quite a good little film. which he produced incidently

you meant "never so Few" with gina lollobridgida and steve mcqueen

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 21:08 pm 
2000+ Poster

Definely the wrong film name then.The one I'm thinking of also had Steve Mcqueen and Gina Lollobrigida in it,Come on guys I need some help with this one. Something about old Gina sticks out a mile!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 21:13 pm 
3000+ Poster

as above "Never so Few"

also had Charlie bronson, peter lawford, dean jones (from Herbie) and a young george Takei

(No)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 21:27 pm 
2000+ Poster

Thats the one. The uniforms were just a bit too regulation though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:55 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Mahfoud

If you want to do something diferent, then look no further than the first integrated blacks in the US Army, though it was unnoficial, there two blacks who served wi the FSSF ( Pvt States and Pvt Sheppard) they where Canadian and Lt Col Becket assigned them to 3-1 of the FSSF, Frederick and Walker got to know about it and they where promtly gone, they served wi the Force for a couple of months on the front line, so it's feasable mate...

Yet another example of the First Special Service Force who certainly did "lead the way" in more ways than one :wink: :D

Here's Pvt Lloyd States back in his Canadian uniform:

Speak to Sad Sack or any of the guys, or myself (for more information), and I'm sure ye'd be made VERY welcome should you choose to take a gander over to Bushey...

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:45 am 
 WWW  Profile