WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:12 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:40 pm 

Group: AFRA
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a company that provides insurance for deactivated weapons and the other associated kit please?

Cheers

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Insurance
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 14:00 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Surely your house insurance should cover it?

If you're displaying publically I'd suggest AFRA as you will need PLI insurance to display anyting potentially dangerous in public

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 22:53 pm 

Group: AFRA
Gadge wrote:

If you're displaying publically I'd suggest AFRA as you will need PLI insurance to display anyting potentially dangerous in public

I'm not so sure as they can be picky about things, a good example is musical instruments if you're a gigging musician. I am a member of AFRA for PLI and RIF defence, but am not so sure it covers my kit and Deacs in transit etc?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:19 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
Kit in transit could be covered by vehicle insurance depending on the type of policy you buy ie tools are covered in a work van if it gets broken into.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 am 
3000+ Poster

Gadge wrote:

You shouldn't take it for granted that home insurance would automatically cover it. Even though I had a militaria collection as a specific item on my policy, when I actually spoke to my insurer they made me aware of a number of conditions that would have had to have been satisfied before they'd have actually paid out on anything. Always read the small print and if you aren't 100% sure then speak to them and get clarification of terms and conditions.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 17:16 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: "They Led the Way"
Moved to "VCR Bill, Firearms & Insurance Issues".

Wullie

Wullie Mulgrew CSRT
http://theyledtheway.freeforums.org/index.php

http://www.facebook.com/theyledtheway.

Rangers Lead The Way!

https://www.wisepropertycare.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:11 am 

Group: The Great Exhibitonists
Typical example, I have just been quoted for my home insurance by Policy Expert, and they are quite happy to cover things like stage props, stage jewellery etc, I mentioned I have a replica machine gun and they wanted me to provide
A A letter of Consent from each of the events we attend saying that the item was covered by the event insurance
I told them that if W&P or MO had to do that for each and every display and reenactor with a gun they wouldn't have enough people to process the letters
B They than asked me to provide proof that I have my own 3rd party liability insurance for the item, because it was a 'risk' ( the young lady said it might be a trip hazard ) and the company didn't want to be liable for anyone getting damaged by it?? , I provided the information which she sent on to the underwriters, (bear in mind that it's a single item, worth less than £2000, so really falls into the same category as a toy gun worth a fiver)
However when i asked them if they would require this third part insurance from someone with, for example a Barbeque or a Sound system with speakers, they didn't reply.
I even sent pictures of it , in 'use' IE in a sandbag emplacement, on a tripod, as dangerous as a big pot plant in a pot . They took a few days over this, then Phoned me up and said Good news, we can go ahead with your insurance, and when it came to the point I specifically asked about the gun, and was told, Yes that's covered in the home but not away from the home. I stopped them right there
I received an Email (which i hadn't read before they called me) stating they would class the gun as Sporting Equipment and as such it would not be covered when in use. In short, If some scrote nicks it off the display somehow, they could refuse to pay for it as it was in use for its design purpose, and does anyone know of any sport that requires a dummy machine gun?
So the first question I asked was = How does a static display stage prop present an issue for the underwriters who have already agreed to cover stage items , again worth less than 2000, (although why they had to refer stage items to the underwriters is another thing beyond me), seems that every single item I own had to be referred to underwriters, Uniform Tent, What have you)
Why does a Static stage prop present a third person liability and a Kettle, Barbecue etc doesn't?
Why does a legally held item worth Under £2000 have to be referred to the underwriters when their own wording states Over?
Why do they classify a stage prop as sporting equipment
Why did they tell me they would cover me and NOT tell me that they weren't going to cover my toy gun?
(this could also mean under the precedent this would set on the policy that any other replica weaponry or deacts would not be covered also)
And I asked them if they have an Anti Gun policy?

So I have now referred the matter to the FCA , whose representative thought that it was all a bit strange

Incidentally, certain other insurance companies contain in their item check lists for valuables 'Guns'
I would advise that if you have any Home insurance covering you, that you look very carefully at the exclusions
Policy Expert exclusions do not mention Replica weapons or Toy guns

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 17:36 pm 

Stamp Insurance Services

They cover militaria collections. £10,000 worth of cover is about £56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 17:56 pm 
1000+ Poster

When I brought my new house last year the insurance provider I rang up for a quote gave me a price for the house and I then mentioned my militaria collection. Their tone immediately changed and I was told that every item would need to be itemised for insurance purposes. My reply was that it would be such a huge task I would forget insuring the collection and just take out the cover for the house and normal contents. At that stage they withdrew there offer of insurance unless I included the militaria collection. Hence they did not get my insurance.