WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:25 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Suicide Platoon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 16:56 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Anyone heard about this TV movie/pilot which is being shown on 'Movies4Men' channel (Sky and Freeview) this month? :)

https://twitter.com/suicideplatoon

https://www.facebook.com/Suicide-Platoon-432741176919591/?ref=profile

I know their kit is meant to look "rag-tag" as they're "penal troops", but what's with the 1980s style GS collared shirts, post-war Swedish and post-war West German boots? Shrunken green beret and 1960s-1980s era woolly-pully with velco shoulder straps? What looks like a pair of poly-cotton lightweights on the chap far right? Their costume department needs sacking! :shock:

Okay, this may be a low-budget production, and a pilot episode, and I'm not one to normally actively gripe about other peoples attempts at things, but so much is really odd looking and this is being shown on national telly! Surely getting at least most of the basic stuff right is needed before filming goes ahead? I haven't even seen any webbing - where are they carrying their ammunition? At least, from the promo shots, the German troops look properly equipped (I'm not really up on German stuff, but they appear to look decent to my eye) - perhaps that's where all the costume budget went?

I think I'll tune in, if only to find out why 'Goldberg', the American leader of the platoon, is seen in some promo' shots wearing the later pattern of British No.2 Service Dress (the recent pre-FAD pattern with the rectangular non-scallopped pocket flaps) complete with collar dogs and a post-war communist Hungarian helmet; that's gotta be some interesting plot crow-bar there to see.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Suicide Platoon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 22:14 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
I think the Germans were re-enactors?
Neil from Das Reich was involved in providing the badies.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 13:06 pm 
3000+ Poster

Movies for Men

Should never be watched for authenticity.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: I/II-AA Das Reich (W.A.R.S)
LeMaitre wrote:
I think the Germans were re-enactors?
Neil from Das Reich was involved in providing the badies.

Yes indeed we were. Pre-shoot date we were heavily criticised for not being historically correct by their costumes department. When we arrived on set, we were the only ones who looked correct. When I asked "Why are the Yanks wearing Russian helmets?" answer: They look close enough. We just took the money and shut up after that.

Most of the allied kit was bloody dire to be honest, but they shot a 40 minute pilot in four days with a budget of about £20K.
If successful, its scheduled to run for 12 episodes, but wouldn't hold me breath LOL