WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:55 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 am 

Group: Pontefract Home Guard. NWW2A, BF80
Midgitman wrote:
Right, I'm confused.

What length should the sniper suit be on me, as it's down to my knees currently and I'm thinking it shouldn't be that long? Any help would be appriciated. Now I'm home for the summer I can finish the suit :D

Right mate the suit should be as long as you want. After all the the suit is made by the sniper for the sniper. I you want to make the one in the manual it comes down to your just above your gaiters but I had to change the dimensions to fit me as the diemsions in the manual are far too big.

317th (Airborne) Field Security Section

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
My personal ttake on this is that we should be portraying the norms. We should also be portraying points of interest where possibe and highlighting the differences between life/warfare then and now.

Yep, Ghillies predate Queen Victoria and further as Scottish gamekepers who oudl blend in to hunt poachers but the modern 'ghillie suit' style is quite a rare beast.

Yup *some* troops have experimented in the field slashes hessian fringes etc and full 'ghilli'suits of some degree but its so rare and as has been said you're not really achieving much if you make one that looks like it could have been worn in Bosnia as much as Birmingham.

Consider the *manual* told regular proffesional soliders to cover there faces with boot polish, blanco or coffee grounds, use the face veil to brak up head and shoulders and put foligage in their kit... how often did this happen? Well trawl 200 pictures of wwii british soliders and i'd be surprised to find more than two doing this. Personal camoflage as given lip service in the UK and virtually ignored in the US unitl post was evaluations really hammered home it's usefulness (despite and awareness ince the start of the 1st world war).

Personally I'd stick to hand painted sacking, make it as loose as possible - the intention is to break up the telltale 'head,shoulders and limbs' profile of the person.

The intention isnt unforutanely to make it look 'cool'... if you go down that route you may as well just go and buy a modern 'walking bush' ghilie suit and justify t as 'well they knew how to make nets and fray hessian then... why wouldnt they have done it?' and the simple answer is "because the generally 'outside of training pamphlets or pardades to impress the king' ... they didn't"

Last edited by Gadge on Wed Jun 22, 2011 21:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 15:38 pm 
1000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

On re-wearing it just now to check, I think it's just about the right length for me as is, so won't bother with the modifications. just need to paint it now :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Gadge wrote:
My personal ttake on this is that we should be portraying the norms. We should also be portraying points of interest where possibe and highlighting the differences between life/warfare then and now.

Yep, Ghillies predate Queen Victoria and further as Scottish gamekepers who oudl blend in to hunt poachers but the modern 'ghillie suit' style is quite a rare beast.

Yup *some* troops have experimented in the field slashes hessian fringes etc and full 'ghilli'suits of some degree but its so rare and as has been said you're not really achieving much if you make one that looks like it could have been worn in Bosnia as much as Birmingham.

Consider the *manual* told regular proffesional soliders to cover there faces with boot polish, blanco or coffee grounds, use the face veil to brak up head and shoulders and put foligage in their kit... how often did this happen? Well trawl 200 pictures of wwii british soliders and i'd be surprised to find more than two doing this. Personal camoflage as given lip service in the UK and virtually ignored in the US unitl post was evaluations really hammered home it's usefulness (despite and awareness ince the start of the 1st world war).

Personally I'd stick to hand painted sacking, make it as loose as possible - the intention is to break up the telltale 'head,shoulders and limbs' profile of the person.

The intention isnt unforutanely to make it look 'cool'... if you go down that route you may as well just go and buy a modern 'walking bush' ghilie suit and justify t as 'well they knew how to make nets and fray hessian then... why wouldnt they have done it?' and the simple answer is "because the generally 'outside of training pamphlets or pardades to impress the king' ... they didn't"

Very true Comrade, use of modern methods used on period piece is something to watch and avoid, for example use of a Ghillie Suit by a Red Army Sniper of the GPW... HET!.

The Context of your Gag is most important, the fact they did things differently then is why you play the gag now.

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 am 
 WWW  Profile

the pic is so cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 21:04 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Bit of a necro-post on this...

when doing these suits, what paint did people use to do them with? Ie, looked matt, went on ok and didnt stiffen up the material, stayed on and didn't rub off etc...

I'm looking at painting canvas so need something that will not make the material turn to a board, but also give good colour and last.

Thanks,

Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 21:39 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
Hi Paul

Gloss and fence paint tend to 'stiffen up' the material.

The best stuff seemed to be matt paint watered down just a little IMHO

Barry

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 22:15 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
It doesn't show much, but have a look at: http://www.blitzandpeaces.co.uk/video.asp , at 2.35 in and 2.58.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8