WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 21:27 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 18:40 pm 

Group: They Led The Way
Will just cover the bag with two black bin bags, will also take deac cert and have id with me. Just incase.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 18:43 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
i had contemplated buying an SMLE bag from SOF.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: The Stonewallers 29th Infantry Division, C Company
How about phoning the local police for advice on this? As long as you don't get a 'jobsworth' who doesn't know the answer so just says -'ooh, you can't do that mate'. I think it's worth a go to get the definitive legal position.

Having said all that, the general consensus is that it is perfectly legal to carry your (covered up) deac, but what you put it in is the subjective bit.
If it's disguised, you minimise the chances if 'alarming' a MOP and will probably have an uneventful journey.
If not disguised, someone might get jumpy and you may be delayed while the police attend and investigate.

Last edited by Doctor Bob on Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:45 pm 
3000+ Poster

Doctor Bob wrote:
How about phoning the local police for advice on this? As long as you don't get a 'jobsworth' who doesn't know the answer so just says -'ooh, you can't do that mate'. I think it's worth a go to get the definitive legal position.

i wouldn't make that call from a traceable number,,,,,,,,,,,,, unless you have a need for personal visit and free inventory of your possession plus free breakfast.
you have almost ZERO chance of not getting a "jobsworth" if you mention firearms, the very nature of the subject means HS jumps in. I've discovered that the standard operating procedures was that only a Tazer equipped unit could to visit our house when the neighbour complained about parking. Just in case.

I can almost guarentee that whoever answers the phone is going to tell you to not carry a firearm shaped thing in public, and if they did say down the phone is was OK, they'd never admit to saying it at your trial/inquiry/coroners court hearing.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 18:27 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: The Stonewallers 29th Infantry Division, C Company
arnhem44mad wrote:
Can you travel on a train with a deactivated weapon if it is in a bag?

I've been surfing the net on this and like a lot of things the answer seems to be vague.

I stumbled across some 'conditions of carriage' for National Rail and it said that 'unloaded and loaded guns cannot be carried'.
Is a deac rifle an 'unloaded gun'?

Have a look at page 25. It does say they can give 'individual dispensation' i.e. make exceptions.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/ga ... /NRCOC.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 18:44 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Doctor Bob wrote:
I stumbled across some 'conditions of carriage' for National Rail and it said that 'unloaded and loaded guns cannot be carried'.

I suppose it is in a literal sense. But by 'gun' do they mean 'gun shaped object', or do they mean a firearm - using the word 'firearm' in it's legal sense. Deacts and RIFs are 'guns', but they are not 'firearms'.

They may mean any 'gun shaped object', or it may just be vague/poor wording. There's a lot of it about.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 am 

Group: Normandy 44
He got stopped by the BTP on a station asked him what was in the bag he told him and showed him the deca cert and the copper aske to have a look at it and took him away and looked at it and said yep ok thats fine so really if you do it with common sence you will be fine

Www.n44.co.uk

Rangers lead the way !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:07 am 
5000+ Poster

Group: 16PFA / AFRA
Exactly..use common sense, don't travel on public transport with such items unless you have no other choice and if you do take a copy of the deact cert with you, however if travelling with an air soft smg or other RIF etc maybe carry it in the box it came in along with any / all documentation you have for it, if you don't have any paperwork don't travel with it on public transport-it's asking for trouble, possibly of the most lethal type!.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm 
1000+ Poster

peregrinvs wrote:
Doctor Bob wrote:

I suppose it is in a literal sense. But by 'gun' do they mean 'gun shaped object', or do they mean a firearm - using the word 'firearm' in it's legal sense. Deacts and RIFs are 'guns', but they are not 'firearms'.

They may mean any 'gun shaped object', or it may just be vague/poor wording. There's a lot of it about.

When I asked SouthWest Trains they broadened the remit to "anything likely to cause alarm or distress to other passengers" :roll:
I guess that includes my two kids...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:13 pm 
3000+ Poster

its rather obvious then isn't

you can carry anything on the railway or in public until the day you get caught.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:39 pm 

I got a letter from the head of customer service for the Woking-Heathrow rail-air coach service to show to the driver if queried saying it was OK with the company for me to carry my gun on the coach. Gun was in a locked ski box and nothing was said

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 am 

Group: VMGCRA
JWs post is correct. Visit the station manager at one of the big station or BTP office and get a headed letter from them giving you permission. This covers you under the railway Bylaws (which I have some knowledge of). I have written a few headed letters for re-enactor with swords passing through my station. All I request is some sort of proof they are a re-enactor (membership card etc). I can only speak from a railway point of view though...