WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:12 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:32 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
I'm slightly confused, have we annoyed you Paul?

if i have in some way I'm sorry but all I'm trying to do is make an amount of 24hr packs for my group. I have no intention of making them to sell on and thus affect your extensions to the hobby.

anyway, can someone think of something that would be suitable for a dried meat block?

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:48 pm 

I just went and looked, the 6th ABN ordered 2 24 hr rations and a can of preserved meat to be issued.

I can't help you. I live in the states and in a rural area. We make our own jerky type products. Cabela's main headquarters is only a little over an hour away (70 miles). I can drive there if I don't want to order through the mail.

Martin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 13:02 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Collins wrote:
I'm slightly confused, have we annoyed you Paul?

if i have in some way I'm sorry but all I'm trying to do is make an amount of 24hr packs for my group. I have no intention of making them to sell on and thus affect your extensions to the hobby.

anyway, can someone think of something that would be suitable for a dried meat block?

Nah man, am not... I always speak in this abrasive manner :lol: :lol:

Looking back, it does or could seem so, but I'm not, just a moaning faced git, talking about someones dismissive comment elsewhere, but really giving an explanation of the process involved, cause as ye know, some folk may just think it's as easy as going to asda or tesco and buying a tin of beans, and sticking on a label (actually, someone has done that - Me, for a laugh :lol: ) :D

I have, and would have no right objecting to anyone doing any ration, and if it was competition, i'd welcome it... I like this thread, very informative, friendly, helpful, and if I can help in any way, I will :wink: :D

Right, gotto go, got a couple of orders to do :D

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 13:25 pm 
3000+ Poster

Fair enough

Let me know when you've figured out what you're going to be doing with your rats as I'd like to have a look :)

185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 18:36 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Wot about this:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 18:43 pm 
3000+ Poster

I've never seen anything like that before. Mind you, I can't claim to have done substantial research

185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 20:18 pm 

Those have been discussed before, I believe. They are a jungle ration from late in the war, someone said. I have a photo of those, they mentioned it was in some book.

Martin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 21:09 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

rmcommando wrote:
Those have been discussed before, I believe. They are a jungle ration from late in the war, someone said. I have a photo of those, they mentioned it was in some book.

Martin

Aaah, makes sense, I remember reading "normal" rations where kinda useless in Jungle environments, and the US Army actually developed the "Jungle Ration" but Phil says the likes of Merril's Marauders where only given K Rations, and have been told the Brit army in the far East used/issued American K Rations...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 21:14 pm 
3000+ Poster

if they are jungle rations surely they should be in waterproof packaging, it appears that they are packaged in standard brown paper. or am i missing something obvious here

185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 21:15 pm 

SaddleTramp wrote:
Wot about this:

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/general/63 ... ons-3.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 23:09 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

rhhaslar wrote:

Is that where I got it from?

There ye go guys, heaps of info :D

Of note, the K ration shown is the experimental version....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 23:49 pm 

It was a thread from March of 2008. I have the properties of when I added it to my computer.

On a serious note, they are real cute, but your better off with compo's. Those little boxes get mentioned on June 6th, 1944. They are not mentioned in any of the MTO accounts that I have read. They are not mentioned by most units, after that date.

The self heating soups show back up in the winter of 44-45. I found those in a few different accounts.

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 0:32 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

rmcommando wrote:
It was a thread from March of 2008. I have the properties of when I added it to my computer.

On a serious note, they are real cute, but your better off with compo's. Those little boxes
Martin

Is that the "24hr ration" boxes reproduced in the photos?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:58 am 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

the pic is from the stephen badsey book D-day.
ive read a few accounts of the 24hr rat in 51stHD use in sicaly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 13:51 pm 

My main source for that one is Waddell. He talks about stealing stuff from American trucks, in Sicily. Peanut butter is mentioned. They seem to eat Bully Beef and Biscuits, more often than not. They also have sardines. He does make mention of trading biscuits to the Arabs for date rings.

Soya links seem to be a very common staple in the ETO.

My only point is, the 24hr ration makes a neat reenactor food, but isn't the common. Efforts towards other types of rations would rate higher.

Here is that older thread....

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=48230&hilit=ration

Tallerthanbetty said those jungle rations came canned.

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 14:53 pm 
1000+ Poster

i have a question about the issue of US rations to the british.....

i have done some research, but to be honest not much, as i cant seem to find much...

ok, when were US made rations on general issue to british and commonwealth troops?... some say as early as 1942 some say after 1944...
i know from a veteran that they were issue to brits in italy .
i have also heared from an 8th army vet that they had them in north africa, late in the campaign.

confused of sheffield.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next