WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:38 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Sjt. Tommy Prince
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 16:18 pm 

Greetings from Canada,
Just for a point of interest for all FSSF troops. They are in the first stages of making a movie on the life of Sjt. Tommy Prince Canada's, highest decorated First Nations soldier. (1915-1977) He started the war as a sapper and went to the FSSF were he was awarded the Military Medal and the American Silver star. After WW2 he re-enlisted for Korea and served with honor with the PPCLI. The sad part, his service was not fully appreciated until after his death except with in the ranks of the PPCLI and the Canadian Airborne Regt. The project is being headed up by the Canadian First nations actor Adam Beach who played Ira Hayes in Flags of Our Fathers and will also play Sjt. Prince in the movie. I had the honor of doing security on his medals a few years back when they were on a traveling tour at the Naval/Military Museum that my wife is the curator . For me this was a great honor as having served in both above Regts. Tommy Prince was legend. I am sad to say that our nation did not treat our native veterans with the respect that they deserved . The army was Tommy Prince's life, the only place in his life that he was given the respect for his soldier and leadership skills. After his second tour in Korea he was discharged for age and medical reasons from that point on hard times and booze followed him the rest of his life. So maybe the next time you lads form up you could give him a thought, in would mean a lot to him!!!

All the best,
Don Thomas

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Sjt. Tommy Prince
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 17:58 pm 
Supporter

Prince, Thomas G. (H-25272) Military Medal

"While in action against the enemy near Littoria, Italy, on 8th February 1944, Sgt. Prince acting alone, ran a telephone wire from our lines fifteen hundred (1,500) yards into enemy territory to a house in which he established and maintained an artillery obsevation post for twenty-four (24) consecutive hours. From his position Sgt. Prince was not only able to observe enemy artillery emplacements invisible from our lines, but was also directly responsible for the complete destruction by artillery of four (4) such enemy positions which were causing considerable damage to our own troops and material.

At one part of his twenty-four hour watch, Sgt. Prince's communications were cut by shells. Using his own ingenuity, Sgt. Prince donned available civilian clothing and, under direct enemy observation, went out to repair his line to reestablish contact for target observation.

Sgt. Prince's courage and utter disregard for personal safety were an inspiration to his fellows an a marked credit to his unit."

Prince, Thomas G. (H-25272) Silver Star
"Sergeant, Canadian Army, Second Company, Third Regiment, First Special Service Force, for gallantry in action near Los Escarene, France, 1-3 September 1944. In charge of a two man reconnaissance Patrol, Sergeant Prince led it deep into enemy held territory, covering rugged rocky mountains to gain valuable and definite information on the enemy's outpost positions, gun locations and bivouac area. So accurate was the report rendered by the patrol that Sergeant Prince's regiment moved forward on 5 September 1944, occupied new heights and successfully wiped out the enemy bivouac area. The keen sense of responsibility and devotion to duty displayed by Sergeant Prince is in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflects great credt upon himself and the Armed Force of the Allied nations. Entered service from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada."

borderline personality disorder.] The character displays the behaviors of impulsivity, emotional lability, frantic efforts to avoid abandonment, frequent severe anger, changing from idealization to devaluation, consistent with the diagnosis, although generally aggression to the self rather than others is a more common feature in borderline personality disorder.

Its like a woman scorned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95JsLeNB94
This group is no longer the First Special Service Force... Please change your name to the First Allied Airborne and hand over the plaque... I've had it :roll: VERY BAD TASTE INDEED

old man flat caps, baggy 1980s leather jacket , old grand dad shirt, and denim jeans (aye, we all know they had jeans, but they mostly wore dungarees) in any case, a modern tiny wee turnup?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 21:23 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Don wrote:
Greetings from Canada,
Just for a point of interest for all FSSF troops. They are in the first stages of making a movie on the life of Sjt. Tommy Prince Canada's, highest decorated First Nations soldier. (1915-1977) He started the war as a sapper and went to the FSSF were he was awarded the Military Medal and the American Silver star. After WW2 he re-enlisted for Korea and served with honor with the PPCLI. The sad part, his service was not fully appreciated until after his death except with in the ranks of the PPCLI and the Canadian Airborne Regt. The project is being headed up by the Canadian First nations actor Adam Beach who played Ira Hayes in Flags of Our Fathers and will also play Sjt. Prince in the movie. I had the honor of doing security on his medals a few years back when they were on a traveling tour at the Naval/Military Museum that my wife is the curator . For me this was a great honor as having served in both above Regts. Tommy Prince was legend. I am sad to say that our nation did not treat our native veterans with the respect that they deserved . The army was Tommy Prince's life, the only place in his life that he was given the respect for his soldier and leadership skills. After his second tour in Korea he was discharged for age and medical reasons from that point on hard times and booze followed him the rest of his life. So maybe the next time you lads form up you could give him a thought, in would mean a lot to him!!!

All the best,
Don Thomas

What more can be added (except for Phil's below), thanks Donm for your inpute and I am sure from the rest of the guys, we're looking forward to the preview...Please keep us in the loop...

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 19:06 pm 
Supporter

Actually i saw his medals a while back. the 2nd Battalion of PPCLI holds his medals. they are displayed in their main hall for all to see.

good stuff!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 18:11 pm 

Greetings All,
Just to give you an update on the movie. Last weekend I had a chance to talk to the producer. All the prelim.shooting has been done and the final shooting will begin in March and should be ready for showing sometime this fall ( if all goes well ) Again I will keep you in the loop as best I can.
All the best,
Don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 19:31 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: 16 Parachute Field Ambulance
Fantastic stuff thank you! Anyone got any pictures of Sjt. Price or his medal group?

Cheers
Danny

Remembering the 36th Regiment of Foot, Herefordshire Militia, Herefordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, Herefordshire Regiment, Hereford Light Infantry, Light Infantry and the Rifles.