WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 17:48 pm 

Group: 42LAD RCEME,1 A/B Recce, 16 PFA, HQ 44th RTR, 15th
I just purchased a WW2 Airborne trailer in the US. I was told mostly complete but needs the wiring and such completed. I was told thos is only the 2nd trailer in the US and Dave Gordon has the other. Where would i go to fing how to properly wire this and what is needed to do it correctly?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 18:03 pm 

Here are pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Can you not ask Dave himself ? I've always found him amazingly helpful - he gave me access to loads of photos and advice when I was restoring my folding parabike. I'm sure he'd be really interested in another US captive trailer :)

He's on here as horsa if that helps.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 0:08 am 

Yep already got the email off to him before I posted this. He knew I owned it before I even emailed him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 18:27 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

That's Dave: As to his knowing - I'm convinced the airborne mafia's srtonger in the US than it is over here in the UK :) If he can't help you, I'm not sure anyone can :) Good luck with it :) Be nice to see pictures of the finished article hitched up to your jeep when it's done.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 19:43 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: V.E.R.A
What wiring is on it at the moment?

Regards
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 18:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hey Guys,

A couple of other people were curious about the wiring so I made two drawings today that are attached for reference. I have never seen any official documentation on this subject but another trailer owner in the UK is making efforts to track down a postwar manual that is supposed to show all of the wartime details and optional modifications that were done over the years while the trailers were still in service.

My drawings are based on study of the remnants of harnesses and accessories on trailers that I've encountered over the years. While the trailers usually had mountings for a running light at the rear on each side, they tended to either have one light bolted onto the right rear (as viewed from the rear) or none at all.

In theory, the running lights would get power from the switch when flipped one way, and they would be off and the axle blackout light would get power and be on when switched the other way. If neither light was needed, the power cord going to the jeep would be unplugged and looped around and plugged into a connector located at the front of the trailer. This simply helped to keep the power cord from getting destroyed when not being used. By doing the wiring the way I show it, you don't have to worry about the polarity of the plug going to the jeep since it could be connected into the fitting two ways. The alternative would be to have each electrical device use a ground wire that went back to the trailer chassis. Then you could work out a method of having two hot wires and make the running lights into true brake lights which would activate when the jeep brake lights activate. You wouldn’t need the switch though in that case which is why I see them as rear running lights. My trailer only has one mounted onto the rear right side.

All of this is open to conjecture until we can see official publications on the subject. The drawings I made are free to be shared for information purposes, but I stamped them to avoid possible future confusion as to them being some kind of proof as to how things are supposed to be done. Just because I wired my trailer this way doesn't necessarily mean it is correct :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 21:01 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Group: 44 RTR, 15 Recce
Dave, I will be CONUS in a few days and will get down to look for the info on the trailer, unless Joe has touched every inch of it already and found it after picking it up from me last time I was home... OHHH yea Joe, did you ever pick up my spare trailer tyre from the shop?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 pm 

Hello.
My trailer has been modified with modern plastic wiring, and I want to fix this most original.
All brackets and other equipment are in place, but I want to have the wires most original. What type of wire was originally used on these trailer?
Have found a supplier of cotton socks for wires, but do not know if this is correct.
Regards
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 0:09 am 
 WWW  Profile

Frank, I've always used the modern reproduction cloth loom wires on my vehicle restorations and run them though the flexible conduit covers made from some type of cotton/woven tubing that is covered with a black waterproof tar-like material. But in the case of the trailers, the examples I've seen had a different type of wiring. It most closely seems to resemble black extension cord wire. More or less a plastic/vinyl/rubber outer cover that encloses the wires inside. Since the trailer needs two wire connections at each plug and accessory, I'm willing to bet they used the same type of wire/cabling that was available at the time for regular electrical in homes and businesses when it needed to be rated for outdoor and wet weather exposure.

Since I'm currently cleaning up my trailer, I plan to use something like this with 14-gauge wire. Should be able to source a black replacement electrical cord with twin 14-gauge wires inside. Possibly a three wire cable for the run from the junction block to the switch. All three wires could be hot. One from the other hot wire connection going to the switch, and then the other two wires in the cable would carry the hot back to the junction block for the axle lamp and running lights since they get power alternately from how the switch is set.

Lance, good to hear you will be stateside and safe again. Let me know by regular eMail when you've had a chance to sort out an aerial quiver for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 am 

Hi David.
Thanks for the answer to my question.
Also wonder if there are repro data plates for these trailers to find?
The plate that sat on my trailer was almost completely rusted off.

Regards
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 23:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Haven't seen an original of the trailer plate. Lots of variations though that people have made up. I'm sure the different makers had their own versions as well for at least the Mk I pattern. It’s more likely a standard data plate existed for the later pattern though.

Since I have my trailer torn down with only a base coat of paint on it right now, I was able to rework the wiring based on the diagram I posted last month. Have attached a shot of it showing only a single red running lamp installed. And the wires go through the mounting bracket for the lamp switch on mine since I had a hole there already. This is not correct as they ran the wires around the side of the bracket and through a recessed slot in the Bakelite lamp switch housing originally. When the plug is connected to my jeep and the headlights are turned on, the switch on the trailer controls if the axle flood lamp or the red running light gets power. No electricity is passed from the jeep when the headlamp switch is in the off position or in the daytime driving position which would enable the regular brake light to illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed.

Still a long way to go with repainting all the small parts, reassembly and then putting the black camouflage and markings back onto the body again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:46 am 

A fantastic trailer you have there!
Have a hope that mine also be so nice one day.
The straps which was originally on the inside of the trailer is cut off on mine.
Have measured the width of these to 1.2 "in, but can not find a replacement for them.
Does anyone know where you can buy straps in this width ?

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:22 pm 

Group: Independent
fraronni wrote:
Hello.
My trailer has been modified with modern plastic wiring, and I want to fix this most original.
All brackets and other equipment are in place, but I want to have the wires most original. What type of wire was originally used on these trailer?
Have found a supplier of cotton socks for wires, but do not know if this is correct.
Regards
Frank

A.E.S Supplies UK
01584 819552

These people do cotton covered cable