WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 18:20 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 17:10 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

Group: Reichsbahn
What has been really difficult Dave, is the dating of photos recieved from other people.
I am always in the habit of dating and captioning mine.

Anyway, if you say they are 1986-7 then I will go with your judgement on that.
Give me the name of the group as well and I will update the original caption.
I knew I could not see any white collar tabs in the pics and that threw me out a lot.

I was sure Gail gave them to me, anyway, she DID give me 10 B/W small contact prints,
which I will post soon, and they are from 1987.

cheers, Bill.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 17:45 pm 

Hi Bill,

I think you will find that those Photos were taken by Guy Channing, he may have given those to you, Gail said she does not remember handing you any photos to you and it is a long time a go, and the group is Phoenix.

Bill I remember you telling me that BRA disbanded your Kriegsmarine unit at the Battle in Gulworthy in 1982, and you had to go in the FJ after that weekend, and after that you did not have a unit down here. And I do remember Gail saying they the group invited you to use the site, they met with you and Martin at the Bedford Hotel, and a few weeks Later Mike Passmore met with Gail and her group and you to arrange the 1982 BRA battle out there, they met at Gail Model Shop in Tavistock.

As far as BRA losing the site for local group at Gulworthy, Gail informed everyone at that Battle where they could go and where not to go, and that was done on the sand dunes so Gail could point out where houses were so everyone keeps well away from them, every one was told not to fire before 9am Sunday Morning, so as not to p**s off the locals. Anyway the first fire fight started around 6.00 am, and Colin Pratt went down and ripped them a new one, then about half hour later it started up again, He again went down there and ripped them a new one, Gail said by that time she knew we would lose the site, and again another fire fight started and again Colin went to sort it out. Gail got a letter from the woodlands on the Tuesday kicking them off of the site. I heard this from Colin Pratt and Gail, as I'm in contact with both. I think Tony will confirm what happened that weekend as well, Don't get me wrong, this sort of thing happens, Gail and the others were ok about it, or they would never have invited BRA down to the site when they got it back. Gail went out of her way when she invited BRA down to make them welcome, she even arranged for a Cafe in Tavistock to open at 6 am so the guys travelling a long way could have a good breakfast.

Regards

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 17:53 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for your prompt answer Dave, I knew that there had been trouble but didnt know that it involved a ban.
I really do feel sorry about that because it was me who suggested that Gail meet up with mike
Passmore.....however, I only had good intentions by getting BRA involved with the Pheonix group.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 18:20 pm 

Hi Bill,

Don't worry about it, Gail never had a problem with it, she has never said a bad word about BRA since I've known her, and thats the truth, as she said in her own way " S**t Happens!!!!."

Dave

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 18:40 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

So, lets get back to the pictures........

Phoenix Group, Gulworthy Mine, Tavistock

These were taken 1986 and I have added the captions
contained on the reverse.

1. Andy and Mike

2. Barry, Dave and Gail.

3. Dave and Peter.

4. Podge and Gail.

(Edit: Name added)

Last edited by Bill Medland on Wed Jun 16, 2010 19:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 18:47 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

5. MG 37(t)

6. Lt. A. Crofts

7. Colin

8. No Caption

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 18:50 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

9. Brits. Mike

10. Dave (Greatcoat) and Allen

Pics from 1987 to follow soon.......... Cheers, Bill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 19:45 pm 

Hi Bill,

Apart from Number 10, I've not seen any of these Photos before, Neither has Gail, "Me" is Gail by the way, she said it's strange, she does not remember any of them except number 10 as well.

Photo number 3 was one with me and Peter Kilgour, he died back in 1995, he was only in his 20's.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 19:53 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

Dave Croad wrote:
Hi Bill,

Apart from Number 10, I've not seen any of these Photos before, Neither has Gail, "Me" is Gail by the way, she said it's strange, she does not remember any of them except number 10 as well.

Photo number 3 was one with me and Peter Kilgour, he died back in 1995, he was only in his 20's.

Dave

OK Dave, I will change "Me" to Gail.

Sorry to hear about the passing of a fellow reenactor :(

You will love the photos that I hope to post tomorrow, Gulworthy Mine, all dated "Oct 1987".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 19:22 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

Phoenix and BRA, October 1987

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 19:24 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

More photos of Phoenix and BRA, October 1987

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 19:28 pm 
Supporter
 WWW  Profile

...and more Phoenix and BRA photos, October 1987

Note the pic of Tony Dudman as a Russian! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 20:20 pm 

Hi Bill,

Well I know for sure I've seen these before because I took the Photos, how did you get them, LOL. That was the First Russian Front Battle we and BRA had.....

There is one photo that was not taken at Gulworthy, the photo was taken at Brentor, it shows Colin almost facing the camera, talking to Gail ( the Obergefreiter) with Peter Kilgour with a Zeltban over his greatcoat looking on. I remember taking that Photo. I know that Brentor site anywhere, mud, mud and even more mud, and cow s**t if you were real unlucky landing in it.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 21:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The fort we used in Plymouth was Fort Erniesettle which over looked the Royal Navy Storage tunnels that can be seen from the Tarmar bridge, roumer has it there was a tunnel connecting the two, when the MOD found out we had firearms in the fort they stopped us from using it again.
There was a short period when we weren't using the Gullworthy site as Dave said we used a rail tunnel site once and the Brentor site, we finally lost the Gullworthy site just after the Hungerford episode as one guest group decided to use all American semi Auto weapons for the last time all weekend too much noise, complaints followed and then loss of what i can only say is one of the best sites we have ever used, Dave is right about the Brentor pic we used that site for years (must be worth a fortune in scrap brass)

2nd Battalion Devonshire Regiment
WWll LHA
swedebashers,proper job.
yer dont e go mangle moi wurzle.
woho ma wurzle
SEMPER FIDELIS
support company, 12th Devons, 6th Airborne Division

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:24 am 

Hi Tony,

MOD Police knew we were at the fort, Gail would go down and let them know at the main gate we were there like she did at every site we had, there was never a problem, it was the one of two guys who leased the fort from the MOD, he fell out with the other guy, ran off with his wife to be honest, and because Gail was friends with the other guy also called Tony we couldn't use the fort anymore, we just happen to be friends with the wrong guy. LOL

We didn't lose the Gulworthy site because of anything we or any guest group had done, someone new moved into one of the houses, the house near the main gate in fact, and complained about the noise, from the the rally's, motor cross, motorcycle racing and even cutting trees, they were threatening legal action because their son was a lawyer in London and the woodlands bottled out, so they had to cut back, obviously they made way more money from Rally's and motor cross then us, so we and the motorcycle people went, when we left the Gulworthy site they gave Gail a really glowing written reference letter about our conduct since we last used that site for the 4 or 5 years, and that letter got the other site at Brentor almost right under the Church at Brentor, the orchard site, BRA and SBG also came to both Brentor sites..

If you like Cow s**t Brentor muddy site was perfect, I don't think I have ever been on that site when it didn't rain before, during or after a battle, it never seem to dry out.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:05 am 

Hi Tony,

I do remember Gail saying when we first used that old Fort, we had Local Police problems, Gail said a few of them got dragged down to the local nick including her, Bill she thinks you were there as well that time, it was a little spat between the Local Police at Crownhill and the MOD police and us stuck in the middle, anyway it was sorted and we carried on using it until Gail handed the keys back to the other guy, he didn't want Gail to hand the keys to Tony, so he met with Gail in a local cafe so she could hand the keys back to him, Gail said at the time she did not want to get mixed up in this fight between Tony, this guy and Tony's wife, it was getting nasty, best just to hand the keys back which she did.

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next