WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 16:35 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: 327th hospital station
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 20:43 pm 

Hi All Can anyone give me any info on the 327th station hospital that was based in gloucestershire during ww2. Any help would be great

Many thanks honeybournelad

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:16 pm 

honeybournelad wrote:
Hi All Can anyone give me any info on the 327th station hospital that was based in gloucestershire during ww2. Any help would be great

Many thanks honeybournelad

Hi,try asking ben major on this forum or on his website http://www.med-dept.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Strictly GI (UK)
Hi Lee,
Here's what I have available at the moment. I don't have access to my entire records at the moment, so will have another later:

The Hospital was located at Camp 232 (actually Northwick Park Estate) and was built specially for the purpose in 1943. The unit was formed under the command of Col. Benjamin Moxness with the first staff arriving at the complex on 20 December 1943. Its duration here was short however, as on 1 June 1944 the complex had its status changed to an American Red Cross Unit Hospital (falling under control of the International Red Cross) from then on until its closure during the first week of June 1945. The camp was abandoned after closure date, until 1947-8 during which time it was reopened as a Hostel for displaced Polish persons.

The 327th Station Hospital was officially activated as 208th General Hospital, but was re-designated as such on 2 July 1943 without a change of site, command or mission. The 327th Sta Hosp set sail for England on 30 October 1943. The 327th actually opened the first all-enemy PW Hospital facility in the UK Base, which was partly staffed by captured German medical staff, and supervised by Americans.

Shortly after the handing over of Camp 232, the Unit left for France, but I don't know the specific date right now.

I hope the above is of some use to you.
Cheers,
Ben.

WWII US Army Enlistment Records

$0.02, no refunds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 20:34 pm 

Hi Ben
Thanks very much for the info, you have given me a bit more to go on many thanks for your research to date. Do you know where i can find any info regarding the time they left for france?. I only live about 10 mile away from the old base and it is now used as a industrial estate but many of the buildings are still there to see, and there are some photos in the local books of Blockley. I'am hoping maybe to do a reconstruction of maybe the 327th at our local show wartime in the vale at Evesham.

Many thanks lee wade.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 23:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Strictly GI (UK)
Hi Lee,

Well unfortunately, getting specifics like that will require obtaining the 1944 Annual Report for the Unit. This can be done through the US National Archives, but be prepared to pay. They have now upped their prices to $0.75 per sheet copied. Annual Reports typically run to around 100-150 pages so you can see the price soon adds up. Tony Honeyman (a UK-based researcher) has done a great deal of research into Station Hospitals here in the UK, and unless I am much mistaken is a member of the Forum. Let me see if I can find his username, or failing that I can email you his email address. The chances are, he has some more detailed records about this Unit than I.

Thanks and kind regards,
Ben.

WWII US Army Enlistment Records

$0.02, no refunds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 20:45 pm 

Hi Ben
thanks for the help, hope to hear from him in the future.

Many thanks lee wade