WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: feathers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 18:23 pm 

Group: Gold beach group and carrier crew
[quote="SuperMario
Ham and Jam. Definately Bersaglieri. Lots of pics of them with captured Tommies after the fall of Tobruk. Please bear in mind that this was an elite formation, and not a stereo typed 'drop it and run' styled conscritped Italian division. Facing the Bersaglieri in battle was not a favoured option. They were held in high regard by ANZAC forces for their combat skills.

Just as a sub note, the reported new spike lee film about the black US division in Italy was actually captured by Bersaglieri troops, not SS as the film reportly shows. Its more becoming for Hollywood to show Yanks being taken prisoner by nasty ol Germans than historical fact. Funny that.

Neil

Neil[/quote]

Cheers Neil the info has been fab

I must agree with you though, the Italians always seem to get a bad press and i myself have heard from veterans just how dedicated they could be. Infact most of the forces in North Africa were Italian compared to the famed Afrika Korps and the allies were stuck there for 3 years so that ses alot.

Thanks for the help and may i add that ive seen your group various times and i think you guys are top notch!

2nd and 4th Field Squadrons Royal Engineers, 7th Armoured Division 1941 - 1943

Cheshire Regiment Heavy Machine gun crew

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:18 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Mediterraneo WW2 Italian Reenactment Group
Indeed. 80 % of the much praised Afrika Korps was Italian. That says it all. Under good leadership (And they would've had it from the start if Balbo hadn't have been killed), the Italians were as much a good fighting force as their British and Commonwealth opponents.

And next time you see us, come and say hello. Everyone is always welcome, no matter what country you portray. The wine flows freely, as does the Grappa. Viktor and Elsan, as well as Andrei Kozlov will attest to that.

Viktor likes Grappa.

Alot. :D

Elsan and Kozlov are wise enough to stay clear of the fermented hogweed we possess, :lol:

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Telo Tenda Mimetico Modello 1929. Keeping Farbs dry at night since 1978

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]
http://ww2italianreenactment.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:25 pm 
1000+ Poster

Here are some pic's to help you with your project though..

This Pic is Gregg's guys from the States who recreate Bersaglieri. Top notch group. Attention to detail is superb.

Neil

IF, and only IF, there is a war, we may provide you with a camouflage hood or cap in times of wet weather (Quote from the 1936 drill manual for the REI)

Its a Tent! Its a Poncho! Its a Ground Sheet! Its a Camouflage against the enemy. My word, its even a waterproof sleeping bag! It is not, however, German.

M33 Elmetto. Good against shrapnel. Great for grinding coffee. For that superb sweat encrusted taste.[/size]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Par-Sang-Versé
As a note, these are the units that fought in North Africa that included Bersaglieri units. The Division is given its name and dates of service, followed by the attached Bersaglieri unit.

Centauro Armoured Division (1943) - 5th Bersaglieri Regiment
Ariete Armoured Division (1940-42) - 8th Bersaglieri Regiment
Littorio Armoured Division (1942) - 5th Bersaglieri Regiment
*just to clarify, the Littorio was destroyed after El Alamein, so the 5th was merged into the newly formed Centauro division*

101st Motorised Division 'Trieste' (1940-43) - 9th Bersaglieri Motorcycle Regiment (1940-41), 8th Armoured Bersaglieri Battalion (1941-43)
102nd Motorised Division 'Trento' (1939-43) - 7th 'Trento' Bersaglieri Regiment
136th Infantry Division Giovani Fascisti (1939-43) - 8th Bersaglieri Regiment

Unfortunately I am unaware of how the 8th Bersaglieri was in both the Ariete and Giovani Fascisti, mostly because I know basically nothing about the Giovani Fascisti Division, apart from that it was mid way into being converted to an armoured division, hence why there is an infantry division with Bersaglieri. The only possibility being that after the Ariete was disbanded, the 8th was moved to the 136th Division, but that would not have happened until at least the newyear, 1943; this would mean that the 136th would have not had much time to have an effect.

Other than that, only other Motorized, Armoured and Cavalry Divisions held Bersaglieri units, but no others fought in the desert. There were several virtually independant Motorcycle companies that served in the desert, notably the 5th Bersaglieri Motorcycle Company.

Last edited by robou on Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:36 pm 
Neil,
I should be coming to an event in GB next year (probably with my Jock impression for North Africa), I'll bring the Marsala!
Very nice job guys, keep the standard high!
Phil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:11 pm 

Group: There & Back Again...
In your first pic above Neil - is that a trophy Bren?

8)

Andy

There and Back Again...

http://www.thereandbackagain.org.uk

Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! .. Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:12 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Sandy Boots wrote:
In your first pic above Neil - is that a trophy Bren?

8)

Comrade Sandy Boots, It looks very posed, but if you have an LMG and Ammo, you are not going to waste it, it will not stop like a Breda 30. :lol:

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 15:32 pm 

Group: Gold beach group and carrier crew
thanks for the pics, they are super. Neil, I will look out for you guys next year perhaps at Beltring, thanks for all the info its very appreciated

2nd and 4th Field Squadrons Royal Engineers, 7th Armoured Division 1941 - 1943

Cheshire Regiment Heavy Machine gun crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 20:12 pm 

Hello, a little question, what headgear did Bersaglieri officers use? Besides, did they always used the brown ammo pouch? wasn´t there a shortage of them during the late stage sof the war (Tunisia, Sicily...)
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 14:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ok. Officers would wear the combat helmet, either M33 or casco coloniale with the plume insitu in combat situations. Other than that, they would were the bustina , M42 bustina or officers peaked cap. As for brown ammo pouches, they were issued when they had them. Failing that the troops got whatever was available so standard 1907 pattern.

Neil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 17:12 pm 

Wonderful, many thanks! the fez was issued to enlisted men only?