WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: US WW2 demo Kit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:50 am 

Hi Everyone

One of my main impressions is a Engineer of the 326th AEB, part of the 101st. Getting the uniform, Corcorans, webbing even a M1 carbine was the easy part. It soon became apparent that no-one over here makes Repro US demo kit. I found a couple of guys in the US that make some superb kit, but I was a little unsure about trying to import demo kit from the states (even though its all just dummy display stuff)

So, I decided to make my own. And below are the results.
Not everything in the photo did I make myself. The two MkIIA1s, the Hawkins A/T mine are from SoF, but with some improvements, the pliers, cutters & TL29 knife are original, as is the one MkII pull fuse, the friction tape & white tape I got from a DIY shop & a sewing shop respectively.
Everything else I made. There is:-
Electric Blasting cap wire
Electric Blasting Caps X3
Non-Electric Blasting Caps X6
Wooden Reel with time fuse
Wooden reel with various colour wiring
M1 Pull fuses X5 in card tube
1/2 pound block of TNT X2
8oz Stick of Dynamite X2
1/2 block of Comp` C
1 pound block of TNT
And a box for five M2 Weatherproof fuses (Box only the fuses are still a work in progress)

I am currently making 5 M2 fuses and 3 MkII pull fuses, but they won`t be finished before Christmas.

Before anyone gets worried its all Dummy Inert display stuff only. 8)
It soon occurred to me that it`s all very well reenacting an engineer, but if you don`t have an engineers kit, then whats the point. Like trying to portray infantry without a weapon & ammo. :lol:
Am still looking for a WW2 copy of the US Demo Manual FM 5-25.

If anybody wants to know more about the kit, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Peter

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:13 am 

Group: Normandy 44
I've recently started to put together my own engineer impression, thought it'd be good to do something slightly different. So far I've managed to make some M2 sticks which I'm still fine tuning, I initially used wood but am going to have a whirl with modelling clay for the more handled look :)

Have you had any luck finding details on satchel bags?

If you've got any pointers on the blasting caps, wire (plus sleeves) and the the pull ignitors that'd be great. I've found loads of places in the US that do this kind of thing but I don't fancy trying to get it through customs :D

Very nice setup :)

Post subject: Re: US WW2 demo Kit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 13:22 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: GI44-45
Corporal Enfield wrote:
Hi Everyone

One of my main impressions is a Engineer of the 326th AEB, part of the 101st. Getting the uniform, Corcorans, webbing even a M1 carbine was the easy part. It soon became apparent that no-one over here makes Repro US demo kit. I found a couple of guys in the US that make some superb kit, but I was a little unsure about trying to import demo kit from the states (even though its all just dummy display stuff)

So, I decided to make my own. And below are the results.
Not everything in the photo did I make myself. The two MkIIA1s, the Hawkins A/T mine are from SoF, but with some improvements, the pliers, cutters & TL29 knife are original, as is the one MkII pull fuse, the friction tape & white tape I got from a DIY shop & a sewing shop respectively.
Everything else I made. There is:-
Electric Blasting cap wire
Electric Blasting Caps X3
Non-Electric Blasting Caps X6
Wooden Reel with time fuse
Wooden reel with various colour wiring
M1 Pull fuses X5 in card tube
1/2 pound block of TNT X2
8oz Stick of Dynamite X2
1/2 block of Comp` C
1 pound block of TNT
And a box for five M2 Weatherproof fuses (Box only the fuses are still a work in progress)

I am currently making 5 M2 fuses and 3 MkII pull fuses, but they won`t be finished before Christmas.

Before anyone gets worried its all Dummy Inert display stuff only. 8)
It soon occurred to me that it`s all very well reenacting an engineer, but if you don`t have an engineers kit, then whats the point. Like trying to portray infantry without a weapon & ammo. :lol:
Am still looking for a WW2 copy of the US Demo Manual FM 5-25.

If anybody wants to know more about the kit, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Peter

Very nice Pete!

GI44-45

'Ours is to do or die not question how or why!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 14:00 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Ranger Re-enactments
Hi Pete,

Great collection there mate and a lot of hard work gone into that. Pm MikeW on here from our group and he will be able to hopefully help out with some of your questions. We have another guy in group who works with Mike on the group demo display and he now has a full collection of German mines and demo kit for instructional purposes, for pre D-day training. Always willing to exchange info.

Good luck with it,

Cheers Dave

' Jeez, where's that damned Lt. taking us now, he's gonna get us all killed'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 18:07 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
Dave

We could do with this man at COAM if he could just pull himself away from doing Airborne for a weekend.

The Engineer Special Brigade would welcome a presentation of this type of kit

Regards

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 20:50 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: The One and Only Normandy 44
Hi Peter,
You've missed one of these off your list to make your collection complete, Your welcome to come for a ride in an original 1942 101AB vehicle ,Vic has my details.

I haven't shot anyone since 1992 and even then I didn't do it...............Mark.. "Chopper".. Read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:15 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

That lot looks the biz Pete! :D

We'll include that in our group statics for next year definately! The events are up in 'our bit' of the forum now. :D

Kozlov wrote:
the Dogster

Post subject: Re: US WW2 demo Kit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 20:42 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: The Stonewallers 29th Infantry Division, C Company
Peter,
Could I be cheeky and ask if you have any closeup photos or diagrams of the MK 2 pull fuse? :)

Am I right in thinking this would have been used to detonate a bangalore?

Cheers,
Bob

(I'm trying to get hold of photos/diagrams of the detonation device for the bangalore as shown in SPR)