WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:45 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:23 am 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
Try reading this:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/article ... /index.htm

Are you mags smooth sided or "ribbed"?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:55 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
I don't think anyone has ever been too sure about when the smooth sided mags were introduced.

Could be postwar or very late wartime. The weapon was used until the early 50's by the Soviets and way after that by all of their "friends", lots of them producing their own and their own magazines for it.

By the sounds of the markings those mags you have are Soviet tho.

For "definitely wartime" we always stick to the ribbed magazines, however these are like rocking horse poo. I know many of my Comrades have a full pouch of them only by picking up single mags at a time over a great number of years! (I only have two ribbed ones and a smooth one just as a filler).

A Finn told me there are thousands knocking around in Finland tho - maybe he will bring them all over to sell to us this year :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 14:22 pm 
5000+ Poster

Its a bit of a WW2 icon the old PPSh isnt it :D

A bit like the Thompson or the MP40, its one of those things you want to check off to complete your childhood Commando comic fantasies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:38 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
The star and shield mark is the factory at Vyatskie Polyany where Shpagin himslef worked.

Don't know where the other mark is from but I'd appreciate knowing if you ever find out because all my pouch fillers have the same mark. :D

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 20:48 pm 

Location: Just south of leningrad fighting for my life for comrade stalin!
Kozlov wrote:
Its a bit of a WW2 icon the old PPSh isnt it :D

A bit like the Thompson or the MP40, its one of those things you want to check off to complete your childhood Commando comic fantasies.

WOW :o
you know commando magazine!
I get it every 2 weeks delivered to my door, the funny thing is all the magazines are very anti-communist.

forward against the enemy, do not count days, do not count miles, count only the number of germans you have killed. kill the german, this is the cry of your russian earth. do not waver do not let up. KILL!. all tratiors and cowards will be shot, survivors will be sent to the penal troops in stalingrad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 21:11 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: За Оборону и В.И.К "Патриот"
I'm fairly sure that the triangle mark denotes that it comes from the Izhvesk arsenal.

"Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 22:28 pm 
3000+ Poster

AFAIK the Izhevsk mark is an arrow inside a triangle during the Soviet period.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/arsenalmarks.htm

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 22:54 pm 
2000+ Poster

So close but no cigar on that then.... however, just as a quick aside, look at the weird and wonderful Pa-pa-sha's shown here!

http://www.ppsh41.com/serge3.htm

"Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 23:00 pm 
3000+ Poster

Oh, yeah I've always loved that 'criminal converted' one.

It must have been a nightmare to control.

I've got a picture of a sawn-off BAR somewhere that's just as bonkers.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 23:12 pm 
2000+ Poster

The one that got me was the PPSh with a scope! Why? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 23:49 pm 
4000+ Poster

Its night vision, doesn't matter how inaccurate it is being able to see at night can't hurt :wink:

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:06 am 
5000+ Poster

01James_evans wrote:
you know commando magazine!

I think most of us on here know Commando! Its the historical document of our childhood :D

Quote:
I get it every 2 weeks delivered to my door, the funny thing is all the magazines are very anti-communist.

Yeah its very much a comic of the time period of its writing (The Cold War) but....I have a very special edition which one day I will scan that is all about a Heroic NKVD special forces unit running round bumping off fash! In full colour hats :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:54 am 
4000+ Poster

Hands up all those who have never read commando!

I am considering having my copy of 'division of the damned' framed or bound in gold or something as befits a true historical document.

Ð