WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:36 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:01 am 

I'm not aware of a source of the correct straps but most just use P37 straps. I didn't bother to put any on the ones I made years ago.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:51 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Thanks .. I thought about leaving them off but find it a pain to try and keep the darn thing closed ... will see if my HG friends have anything spare .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 16:44 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Finally got the table finished and fairly pleased with it in as much as I have managed to stay true (give or take a mm :wink: ) to the 1935 spec.
The clamps came out well and at £15 I was happy with that, I managed to get two lengths of 1 inch wide webbing and using some spare buckles I had and ball end tips from donor scrap webbing, I made up the leg straps as per the plans. The paint I sourced from a friend with a jeep, the color being a match to a period green he sourced and had made up for his jeep, for a table though I don't think the shade of OD really matters.
One final thing to do will be to stencil it, and for that I managed to source a picture of an original example of a USAAF table from 1942, and when it is made up I will apply it to the table as a finishing touch.

All in all its been an interesting little project, and I know I haven't done anything that hasn't been done before, but I thought folks may be interested and of course it keeps the forum going .. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:38 am 

Nicely done!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:26 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Thanks, I enjoyed making it, and as I said on the Jeep coat topic, I don't do this for 'brownie points', I just hope folks will be interested and maybe be encouraged to make their own.

The wood is available albeit as I say in very slightly different sizes today .. the triangle hinges are there on e-bay and the clamps, well they do have to be made up, but I attach the plans I gave to the guys that made mine as a guide .. the straps .. well exact ones can be difficult to get, P37 Brit ones could be used as a stop gap as has been suggested, personally, although I do not claim to be a perfectionist, I am something of a purist if I can put it that way, and in getting inch wide webbing, it didn't take too much to make the correct design ones up ... bear in mind though, this is the 1935 spec table I have made and from then on and throughout the war, and later from what I have seen in researching it, there were variants .. the 1943 type had a further strengthening bar across the bottom of the table top in front of the legs.

I will post the pic of the stencilling as and when I get and apply it .... for those interested as I say .. :wink: :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

The finishing touch; I managed to get the stencils made on an original D. o. D. stencil machine a friend has, the font is a little large perhaps but the effect is the same..
Pictures attached show the original table markings and my copy ... I added the table spec number to mine as an extra touch ..

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 20:01 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: "They Led the Way"
Good project, thanks for sharing.

Wullie Mulgrew CSRT

http://www.facebook.com/theyledtheway.

Rangers Lead The Way!

https://www.wisepropertycare.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 13:15 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Just to say thanks for all the positive comments, and by way of a final comment from me, researching this I came across a few interesting things about the tables;

They were made it seems right up until the 1950's ... by 1944 the table legs had been changed to round ones, in around 1943/44 the table top configuration went from various width boards to a one piece top, also in around 1943, a strengthening piece was added under the table top at each end and the spreader board was chamfered at the ends to ease the roll over of the clamps. Of course as with other things made during WWII the different companies did their own take on the spec issued and so there will probably be other differences seen too, these though are the ones that 'jumped out at me' to use a phrase .. and finally ... replacement straps it seems are available online from the US, reasonably priced too I thought .. .. link here https://sites.google.com/site/dunavinwo ... ome/straps .. and here ... http://www.krautgear.com/ALLIED-FIELD-T ... p_167.html

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England