WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 19:23 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Home insurance issues -
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:15 am 

Group: The Great Exhibitonists
I have already posted this inside someone else's thread, but then I thought the actual problesm that may arise from home Insurance are quite important so posted it as it's own thread

Typical example, I have just been quoted for my home insurance by Policy Expert, and they are quite happy to cover things like stage props, stage jewellery etc, I mentioned I have a replica machine gun and they wanted me to provide
A A letter of Consent from each of the events we attend saying that the item was covered by the event insurance
I told them that if W&P or MO had to do that for each and every display and reenactor with a gun they wouldn't have enough people to process the letters
B They than asked me to provide proof that I have my own 3rd party liability insurance for the item, because it was a 'risk' ( the young lady said it might be a trip hazard ) and the company didn't want to be liable for anyone getting damaged by it?? , I provided the information which she sent on to the underwriters, (bear in mind that it's a single item, worth less than £2000, so really falls into the same category as a toy gun worth a fiver)
However when i asked them if they would require this third part insurance from someone with, for example a Barbeque or a Sound system with speakers, they didn't reply.
I even sent pictures of it , in 'use' IE in a sandbag emplacement, on a tripod, as dangerous as a big pot plant in a pot . They took a few days over this, then Phoned me up and said Good news, we can go ahead with your insurance, and when it came to the point I specifically asked about the gun, and was told, Yes that's covered in the home but not away from the home. I stopped them right there
I received an Email (which i hadn't read before they called me) stating they would class the gun as Sporting Equipment and as such it would not be covered when in use. In short, If some scrote nicks it off the display somehow, they could refuse to pay for it as it was in use for its design purpose, and does anyone know of any sport that requires a dummy machine gun?
So the first question I asked was = How does a static display stage prop present an issue for the underwriters who have already agreed to cover stage items , again worth less than 2000, (although why they had to refer stage items to the underwriters is another thing beyond me), seems that every single item I own had to be referred to underwriters, Uniform Tent, What have you)
Why does a Static stage prop present a third person liability and a Kettle, Barbecue etc doesn't?
Why does a legally held item worth Under £2000 have to be referred to the underwriters when their own wording states Over?
Why do they classify a stage prop as sporting equipment
Why did they tell me they would cover me and NOT tell me that they weren't going to cover my toy gun?
(this could also mean under the precedent this would set on the policy that any other replica weaponry or deacts would not be covered also)
And I asked them if they have an Anti Gun policy?

So I have now referred the matter to the FCA , whose representative thought that it was all a bit strange

Incidentally, certain other insurance companies contain in their item check lists for valuables 'Guns' (Privilege for one)
I would advise that if you have any Home insurance covering you, that you look very carefully at the exclusions
(Policy Expert exclusions do not mention Replica or Toy guns)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 14:31 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
With insurance of any type, you need to read the small print. Just because one insurer offers you a policy for £xxx doesn't mean that its the same as another cheaper or more expensive.

Often the price comparison website attention grabbing premium hides all manner of things which basically mean you aren't insured for anything.

Out of interest, which insurer is this?

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 22:46 pm 

This is a company called PolicyExpert from Qmetric Group limited
thinking back i have never yet had any occasion where something referred to the underwriters has come out well, I was even refused caravan insurance despite having fitted thatcham approved and sold secure everything , chained the chassis to the ground anchors AND fitted a locking post in the front; the grounds for refusal? that 'There is a history of theft from that property '
Happened once 4 years ago, I guess they didn't like the fact my caravan is over 20 years old and worth 2k at most

funny part, on Compare the Market it says this
"Policy Expert is the UK's #1 Rated Home Insurer on ReviewCentre.com"

Right

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 23:55 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
The reality with most insurances is, that once you have to pay for the excesses, essentially you are paying for nothing, no cover at all.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:17 am 

I will happily say that whilst overall i have payed out more than I have received, When the Caravan was stolen they did pay out promptly, minus the excess of course, biggest con being Car insurance. as the law stands you cannot have a car on the road without insuring it, not even it's wheels if being towed. 28 days insurance can cost as much as a years, so unless you're prepared to fork out a fortune, people can't even test drive your car, Dealers then offer really crap money for Part ex, We buy any car makes a bleeding fortune, offering less than half trade price on some vehicles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:29 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Correspondent wrote:
The reality with most insurances is, that once you have to pay for the excesses, essentially you are paying for nothing, no cover at all.

Again, check the policy detail before accepting. "other insurers are also available".

Usually the biggest sucker fall is to choose the cheapest option from the Russian ground rat website. Its the cheapest because it has an excessive excess and pretty much nothing else. Of course you can add those things back, like Ryanair and end up paying as much as all the others or alternatively have a largely worthless policy.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:52 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Unless you have a major incident that is going to cost the earth to put right, the vast majority of claims are usually small ones, and because of the excess it is us that end up paying for the claim, the insurance company pays nothing out in reality and it is in that respect that most policies are worthless anyway .. ... !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 16:25 pm 

Added to which that insurance companies will put premiums up if they're aware of any incidents, even if they haven't paid out anything