WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 23:26 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: TSMG arrival date
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:43 am 

Hi, Just wondering when the first Thompsons were delivered to the Auxiliary/Home Guard units,

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: TSMG arrival date
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 13:28 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
Don't know, but the IWM has a photo dated 1st Dec 1940 captioned "Two Home Guards in Dorking with newly-issued Bren and Thompson submachine guns" http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205227098

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 15:08 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
I was going to say "before they got BD", but this photo ^^^ shows very early BD issue (with the home guard armband sewn onto BD)

Its early HG for the Tommy guns anyway, they didn't get to keep them long either.

(***waits for someone to produce some stand down inventory showing 200 Thompsons in their inventory***)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
If I remember rightly most Thompsons got taken from the HG to arm the Commandos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:32 am 

The first TSMG's arrived with the HG in April 1941, being 1,000 guns. This figure increased to a peak of 43,017 a year later. After this the guns were withdrawn and re-issued to the Commandos etc.

The Thompson's were more that replaced with Sten guns, with 248,000 being on issue to the HG in November 1942.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:24 am 

The records for Worcestershire home guard show Thompsons being issued to General service battalions by March 1941, and to Auxiliaries earlier. Withdrawn February 1942.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:27 am 

So HG would have been wearing serge battledress by then, but Auxiliary could be denim clad, (I believe that the Auxiliary "worked" in denims, but paraded in serge)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
obt48 wrote:
Don't know, but the IWM has a photo dated 1st Dec 1940 captioned "Two Home Guards in Dorking with newly-issued Bren and Thompson submachine guns" http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205227098

This has long thought to be a rigged propaganda photo to show the HG better armed than they were or it could be an unusual case of a local HG unit being well-armed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 13:10 pm 

As an aside the 1st American Squadron were donated 50 TSMGs, in 1940.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 am 

Cobblers

That's interesting. I new the 1st American Squadron had some Thompson's ( along with Winchester Model 1907 .351 rifles and Colt 'potato diggers'). I have only seen one photos of an American Squadron member with a Thompson.

Do you mind if I ask the source that sites the donation of 50 TSMG's and to whom they were donated?

Regards

Alan David
Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:40 am 

I finally found it! It can be found in America's First Two Years The Story of American Volunteers in Britain, by Mrs. Anthony Billingham. First published 1942. On page 59 she writes "Robert Sweeny, the famous golfer, went back to America and arranged to send automobiles and rifles, and two Oxford friends of Charles Sweeny gave fifty "tommy" guns." On page 60 there is a photo. of them training on two M1895 Colt-Browing "potato diggers". In another book, Citizens of London, there is a photo. of some ATS[?] unloading a van full of brand new Winchester manufactured arms, in Winchester Arms carboard boxes. The caption states these are Lend-Lease arms, but I suspect that since they are in brand new Winchester boxes these are deliveries of the 1907 SLR for the 1st American Squadron.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 am 

Speaking of Tommyguns...
I wonder if the recoil would send him rolling backwards? Could be very handy if retreating :wink: