WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:26 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: Red Cross Uniforms
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:45 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Thanks for that very detailed information. I have not yet followed up your links, but will do. Sensible to know what the law is, even if we don't stick to the letter of it.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:22 am 

Finally, I have received a reply from the red cross. Not from the museum giving me information on the uniform, but from their legal department! Although they have tried to keep the tone fairly friendly (or in their language, helpful) it is still rather worrying that they find the use of a WW2 uniform in a display worthy of legal consideration. I have to say, the tone of this reply is much better and less alarming than the one my Sister received.

I've posted their reply below as other people may wish to consider this before donning a red cross uniform...or, if you read this use ANY red cross emblem on anything! Permission is required legally and the conditions stated below followed.

''Your enquiry has been forwarded to the International Law Department, as we are responsible for dealing with requests concerning use of the red cross emblem. The emblem (which you may have noted appears on the shoulder badge on the dress you have been given) is a special sign of neutrality and protection, and its use is restricted by international and national laws. Consequently, it would be very helpful to receive some further information about the intended use of the dress, as well as your agreement to our standard conditions of use, prior to providing additional information for use in your display.

If I understand correctly, you hold a private collection of such uniforms, which are displayed for educational purposes. It would be helpful to know where the collection is normally shown (for example, in schools and other educational institutions?). Colleagues in the British Red Cross's museum and archives section may hold some additional information about the dress for your display. Prior to passing your enquiry to them, it would be very helpful to have your confirmation that you are willing to abide by the below standard conditions:

1. Use of the red cross emblem in the display (i.e. on the dress) should, so far as possible, be factually correct and historically accurate. As mentioned above, my colleagues in the British Red Cross's archives section should be able to assist in confirming the purpose/ history of the dress.

2. Any information provided to you by our archives team regarding the dress should not be forwarded to third parties or otherwise distributed without the prior permission of the International Law Department at the British Red Cross.

3. The dress may only be used for the purpose of display in the context of educational activities. It must not be used for any other purpose, such as third party events.

4. If the dress the red cross emblem is to be the focus of promotional or other publicity materials (in any medium), prior authorisation must be obtained from the International Law Department at the British Red Cross.

I hope the above information and conditions are clear and helpful, and do let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.''

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:54 am 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Oh for goodness sake....

They really need a swift kick. Will they sue Ann Summers or the plethora of PVC 'Nurse' outfits on Ebay?

Silly buggers.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 19:25 pm 

I thought it a bit OTT as well. I replied and the lawyer who sent the above apologised for 'causing alarm' but went on to sate that as the red cross was authorised for use by the government and they had to be careful over what they endorsed. I'm not sure what they'd say to the Ann Summers brigade, the coutless armbands worn, the bags carried with the red cross on them, the helmets, the vehicles, the tents ......etc. etc....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 22:07 pm 

Group: The Desert Platoon
In case you are going to Stoneleigh this coming weekend, and are looking for the shoulder titles as shown on the dress as well as the woven letter ones I have a set for sale. Look for stall Bottomless Sporran, don't ask!, in the second hall on the left.
Nigel

2007 Runner up Best Small Living History Display

1941 Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
1942 Ford 01Y Utility Artillery Truck
1939 Ford 01A Staff Car
1941 Ford 11T NAAFI Truck
1940s 10cwt GS Trailer
1944 10cwt Hose Laying Trailer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 20:14 pm 

Sadly I was in the USA skiing on this date