WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 17:57 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: FANY SHOULDER BADGES
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 20:23 pm 

Wondered if anyone could advise me on whether you can transfer your post war service as a FANY to the QAIMNS? Would I be able to wear the FANY shoulder badges with the QAIMNS cap badge?

301 Bty, 93rd (Mixed) Searchlight Regiment RA (TA)
http://www.thegarrison.org.uk

FANY SOE
WW2 in Colour
http://www.ww2incolour.org

"We were not the heroes; the heroes did not come home" - Normandy veteran Albert Figg

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: FANY SHOULDER BADGES
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 18:17 pm 

I've never heard of it been done and doubt if it was. The wartime QAIMNS SD was grey with scarlet trim to the collar until January 1944 when, due to lack of material, the whole corps changed to khaki the same as the ATS (but obviously with their own badges and a grey and red lanyard). Uniform badging was pretty strict with only the recognised QAIMNS, QAIMNSR or TANS being accepted insignia. Ladies who were members of FANY prior to it's reluctant amalgamation with the ATS were allowed to wear their shoulder titles, but I've not seen it for QAIMNS. In fact QAIMNS only wore shoulder titles on BD when it was issued to them later in the war (and then not always - just to be confusing)

Most FANY (but not all) were drivers, those that drove ambulances usually had a good education in first aid, but very few of them were actually trained practicing nurses. QAIMNS were very strict over who could be accepted. They all had to be fully qualified and practicing nurses. I suppose it's not impossible, but I've never seen it (which does not mean that it would be wrong as I've found over the years things you think are gospel turn out to be not quite so.....).

Not sure this helps you to decide or not. If you decide to go ahead I'd just be prepared for the inevitable comments on why it's wrong! But, in this game, you get those even when your uniform is 100% authentic/original with detailed provenance to prove it!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 21:25 pm 

Thank you very much for replying, certainly food for thought.

Already portray ATS staff driver with FANY shoulder titles and as you pointed out am questioned at every event. Was looking at diversifying within my group and QAIMNS would sit well with our participation in Normandy and Holland.

301 Bty, 93rd (Mixed) Searchlight Regiment RA (TA)
http://www.thegarrison.org.uk

FANY SOE
WW2 in Colour
http://www.ww2incolour.org

"We were not the heroes; the heroes did not come home" - Normandy veteran Albert Figg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 18:44 pm 

Why not diversify into QAIMNS anyway, without the shoulder titles. As you say, it would sit well with participation in Normandy and Holland and at least you wouldn't get loads of clever ***** giving you a hard time over whether you should or shouldn't.
I have a grey QAIMNS SD and everytime I wear it I spend half the day explaining that 'no, I am not German' and 'yes, this is the uniform QAIMNS wore until 1944'. Sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it LOL!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 21:03 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VMD
I've sent you a PM :wink: