WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:02 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: FANY Buttons
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 14:01 pm 

Group: AFMC
I have three sizes of FANY buttons, small 16mm, medium 22mm and large 26mm.

On a normal army/ATS jacket the buttons are usually 23mm for the front ones and 19mm for the pockets and epaulettes.

How do the FANY sizes correspond? Are the four on the front the large 26mm or the nearest equivalent the medium 22mm? Then which ones for the pockets 22 or 16mm which look too small??

Does anyone have an original FANY jacket and is willing to measure the buttons on it?

Thanks

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: FANY Buttons
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 16:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VMD
Hi,

I have had a look at my FANY "collection" and the on both of my jackets the four on the front are 22 mm. The smaller ones on the pockets (and on one jacket also on the cuffs) are 15(or 16) mm. I also found these small ones on my FANY cap.
The largest buttons (27 mm) are only on my greatcoat and I'm not sure whether they were used on tunics as well.

Hope this helps!

Pauline

[Edit] A while ago I uploaded some photos of my FANY collection. If you are interested you can find them here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1152267951 ... q5HC3eCXDA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 17:16 pm 

Group: AFMC
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for your reply, it matches with what I thought as the 26mm buttons look out of place on a normal jacket. I hadn't thought of a greatcoat.
Great collection there too looking at your pictures. I was interested to see one jacket has what looks like officers 'pips' on its epaulettes. I thought the FANY had round red button like pips rather than the diamond shaped army ones? Interestingly there is a FANY jacket on E-Bay which also has the metal pips.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 18:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Thank you!
to be honest I haven't got an answer really. When I bought one of the tunics and the greatcoat the pips were on it, both one pair of army pips. Perhaps someone else knows when the army pips or the maroon coloured FANY pips were used?

Pauline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 20:02 pm 

Pauline van A wrote:
Thank you!
to be honest I haven't got an answer really. When I bought one of the tunics and the greatcoat the pips were on it, both one pair of army pips. Perhaps someone else knows when the army pips or the maroon coloured FANY pips were used?

Pauline

Hi Pauline,

I believe the tunic with the buttons on the male side, false cuffs and metal pips is an ATS officer early war pattern. Not entirely sure how it has FANY buttons and patches. Either it was added later by a collector or if it is done wartime an ATS crossed over to the FANY and uses her old ATS tunic. I don't know if the latter is true because it is usually FANY joining the ATS and uses her old FANY tunic with ATS buttons. I think the FANY patches are post war however. Nice uniforms there.

Simon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 20:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

shinsakuto wrote:
Hi Pauline,

I believe the tunic with the buttons on the male side, false cuffs and metal pips is an ATS officer early war pattern. Not entirely sure how it has FANY buttons and patches. Either it was added later by a collector or if it is done wartime an ATS crossed over to the FANY and uses her old ATS tunic. I don't know if the latter is true because it is usually FANY joining the ATS and uses her old FANY tunic with ATS buttons. I think the FANY patches are post war however. Nice uniforms there.

Simon

Hi Simon,

thank you for your answer. I did notice the buttons on the male side, but haven't done any research yet since I bought it for the skirt. I've bought it from someone who had more sets consisting of tunics and FANY skirts. All the tunics had the FANY buttons and those (post war) titles. From what I have understood the uniforms came from a depot or something. I have removed the titles and was already thinking of making a ATS tunic of it.

Thanks,

Pauline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 am 

This FANY character was suppose to be an SOE, the pips looks like standard army

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 20:25 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Forward To Victory
Interesting reading, I've just picked up a FANY uniform with same style sleve flash and was thinking post war, (only because i couldn't find anything remotely similar WWII era in pics)

Looking for uniform cap if anyone has one going (71/4 or 57 size)

Sussex Home Guard and Civilian LDV

ARP/Civil Defence

AFS
NFS
(NFS overseas, work in progress)

Tommy, WW1 ........work in progress

Never forgetting the sacrifices made, by many, so's I can live the way I do.