WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 13:51 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: WAAF and ATS handbags
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 21:35 pm 

In the Royal Air Force Journal (ww2 publication) are published drawings and other data to make WAAF handbags (they could be made even from old skirts).
Was similar practice in ATS? Or ATS bags were issued only?
Do you have WAAF handbags in your collection? Could you post pictures? I would like to see how they looked.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:26 pm 

Although an older topic. I would like to anwser this best to my knowledge.

According to the information I have WAAF's were not issued with handbags until late 1944.
For a while corresponded with a former WAAF who joined in late 1940. When I asked if she was issued with a handbag in 1944. She wrote that she was still waiting for hers! She never had seen an official issue handbag, did not even knew there were handbags for WAAFS.
She and her colleagues all transported their things in the gasmask bags. (strictly forbidden!)
(But what was a girl supossed to do? Her reaction )

She also wrote an funny story about transporting other goods.
One of her friend had put her pyjama in de gasmask bag as she would be out on leave and stay somewhere else. But she did not noticed that one of the pyjama legs was hanging out of the bag. Somehow she managed to pass the gates and only much later she found out. If she had been seen by a NCO or officer her pass would be revoked. (And probably peeling patatoes or scrubbing the floors as an extra punishmend.)

WAAF handbags are quite rare. So a gasmaskbag would do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 20:07 pm 

Same for an ATS freind of mine,they used the Gas Mask bag and never saw an issue Handbag!
Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 20:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Although, it is noted in several WAAF journals that a small RAF blue wool purse could be carried, in the left hand whilst in uniform, leaving the right free to salute.

This was not official, but the girls were encouraged to make their own.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:32 am 

I remember going to a WAAF reunion with some kit to show them. A lot of them kept asking me if I had the handbag, which I didn't. A lot of them certainly had wartime pictures with them. However, most were from the same station so I do not think that gives an overall view of scale of issue.

The WAAF also had the holdall, the same as the ATS just in Blue. I believe that was first issued 43/44.

Kindest Regards

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 22:46 pm 
Forum Legend

I have a WRAF holdall, issued to my mother in 53. She says that it was a new item to them, but recently a few have surfaced saying 'wartime WAF holdall' as I understand the majority of WAAFs didn't see them until after the war, nearly all being issued with the white kitbag.
regards
Kate

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:27 am 

Yes I think that is very true Kate. The one we have is dated 44 however does have WRAF names and stencils on it.

Kindest Regards

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 19:02 pm 
1000+ Poster

edited

Last edited by unionjack on Tue Jan 19, 2010 22:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 20:05 pm 
Forum Legend

unionjack wrote:
A point to remember is they appear to have been made in a sectional manner from serge, similar to the army's GS cap, they're not true shaped beret's.
Have seen the same 'beret' in RAF blue and dark blue. I assume they are the early type male RAF beret's and early ARP/CD berets. One of these could be dyed black for your purposes.

Some good pics about of WAAFs wearing berets in a gravity-defying manner stuck on the back of the head! Also lot's of pics showing WAAFs in overalls with 'turbans' on in a matching cloth.

was this posted in error?

K

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 22:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

:oops:
ahem, er, yes.
wrong topic!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 23:09 pm 
Forum Legend

I kept having to scroll up thinking 'did I miss something?' :lol:

Women's Navy Great Coat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:03 am 
1000+ Poster

That's from having several tabs open at once on the browser :)

While i'm on this one then I may as well say something relevant!
Debbie has her Mum's WRAF 'holdall' she was issued in the early 60's. Blue, handles etc. but with a zip.

An ex-WAAF we know says all her 'lot' used to use a small RAF blue bag with brass buckles and a shoulder strap as a handbag. That's a '37 small pack.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:52 am 
 WWW  Profile

i know this is a very old topic but does anyone know which number and date journal this information is in?

thanks

I bought a farm because I like fresh air, At milking time I tried to do my share, And when I found the bucket wasn't there, Well I did what I could with my gas mask