WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 17:30 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 18:16 pm 

My wife is currently land girl and we are in the process of sorting an ats outfit. Decided on a private in the RAOC.I have seen multiple pics of ats girls both junior ranks and officers, wearing and not wearing an ats lanyard. Is there a right and wrong time to wear one? Apart from the left or right shoulder argument. As far as I think it should be the right shoulder. Any help welcome.

cheers bruce

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 17:48 pm 
1000+ Poster

She wouldn't be "in" the RAOC, merely attached to it. She would remain part of the ATS at all times.
Photo's exist of both with & without lanyard, and also right AND left shoulders.

That said, as a general rule of thumb, Best Service Dress uniform would likely have a lanyard on the right shoulder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 18:19 pm 

Thanks for that, I did realise she would only be attatched, just a cap badge above the left breast pocket. Just letting people know it wasn't acc acc like most people which would have been a white lanyard. Thanks for the reply I think you have confirmed my own thoughts.......it does look smarter with the lanyard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 13:30 pm 

Not cap badge above the pocket but collar dog. The Lanyard wasn't compulsory. Left or right? Well, if you look at old photos it's certainly confusing. Those ATS attached to the RA wore the RA white lanyard, and this would be always worn on the right (as is RA tradition). With respect to ATS attached elsewhere, they usually (but not always) wore the ATS lanyard (green, brown and beech - official colours). Nominally it should be worn on the left but the rule didin't seem to have strictly applied and either side is commonplace in historical photos and documents. I've spoken with several veteran ATS ladies about it and they back this up, so I wouldn't get too hung up on which side to wear it (unless depicting ATS attached to RA).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 15:25 pm 

ackackgirl wrote:
Not cap badge above the pocket but collar dog. The Lanyard wasn't compulsory. Left or right? Well, if you look at old photos it's certainly confusing. Those ATS attached to the RA wore the RA white lanyard, and this would be always worn on the right (as is RA tradition). With respect to ATS attached elsewhere, they usually (but not always) wore the ATS lanyard (green, brown and beech - official colours). Nominally it should be worn on the left but the rule didin't seem to have strictly applied and either side is commonplace in historical photos and documents. I've spoken with several veteran ATS ladies about it and they back this up, so I wouldn't get too hung up on which side to wear it (unless depicting ATS attached to RA).

Thanks for that, its cleard??? things up about the lanyard(from the horses mouth as to say)... and thanks for the tip of collar dog not cap badge.....