WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 14:02 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: SOE Rank
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 16:19 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Afternoon all,
I have a small query which the answer is proving difficult to find.

Does anybody know if there was a minimum rank given to recruits of SOE? I know most civilians were given a commission and some senior NCOs from previous military service retained their rank such as Maurice Roe who stayed a Sergeant whilst on Operations in France. But is would this be the lowest rank, similar to that of the Jedburghs?

I was of the opinion that the seniority in rank was meant to give the agents more sway and a sense authority?

If anyone has a definitive answer, it would be much appreciated,
Ta!

56th Independant Infantry
2nd Battalion Essex Regiment

Best display 2008 Royal Gunpowder mills
Best group 2010 ww2 reenactors magazine
Best display 2010 ww2 reenactors magazine

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: SOE Rank
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 16:29 pm 

My father was a full cpl at dunkirk and thats how he stayed he says

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 16:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

And your father was in SOE Dave?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 16:39 pm 

yes mate, though he says he never knew who he was working for he was detached from the royal berkshire regiment and made a lot of landings and para drops into occupied france delivering stuff to the resistance

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 16:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Very cool Dave! I hope you've got as much of his accounts written down as possible. I'd love to hear the full story, or as much as he'll let on ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 16:44 pm 

cheers mate yeah he is 96 now and very frail i keep asking him to write stuff down but he aint keen doesnt think its anything special like many of them

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 16:52 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I understand that. Well I'm very grateful for his service either way, you can tell him from me that there's still a young generation who is very thankful for what his generation did.
Thanks for sharing, Dave.

Anyone else with reference to agent rank structure? Perhaps it worked on the basis of objectives, i.e. circuit organisers etc being commissioned? Just a thought...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 17:10 pm 

The story as i know it only told to me a couple of years ago.

Dad was in France with the 1st Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment 6 Brigade he spent his 21st birthday (24th October) on the Belgium border later they retreated to a place called St Venant in northern France where his platoon was guarding a crossroads near a footbridge over the canal when they were hit by there own artillery killing most and wounding Dad he tells me his mate Jonno (the son of a retired Brigadier) died in his arms at the crossroads and he buried him there, after this a forward artillery controller ran up saying how sorry he was they thought the Germans were in that area.

Dad was evacuated from Brey sands and returned to England to hospital in Warwick where he knew Jonno,s parents lived so he asked a nurse to get the Brigadier and his wife to come and see him so he could tell them what had happened to there son, after leaving hospital he was told he was not going back to the Royal Berks but was going for Parachute training. He went to RAF Cardington (Home of the airships) and did parachute drops from balloons (yes i know all para training was supposedly done at Ringway but he is adamant). Next he was sent to the South coast at Shorncliff to a small airfield close by and remembers on nights off going to a ballroom overlooking the cliffs and it was from that airfield he made a lot of landings or para drops into occupied Northern France delivering equipment and people to the resistance, i asked him why he was chosen and he said because they wanted people with a knowledge of the area and who spoke fluent French (which until then i did not know he spoke french).

This is as much as i have been able to get out of him im afraid, he keeps telling me he didnt know who he was working for which i dont believe though apparently many working for MI5 and SOE did not, difficult to prove since most of SOE,s records were destroyed by fire in there offices in Baker street just after the war.

Sorry i cant tell you more but i only got this out of him because he asked me to find out if Jonno was buried in a proper cemetary (which i did and he is (Haverskerque) just North of where he was killed and quickly buried.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 17:15 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Amazing stuff, Dave. So he was a dispatcher? I wonder what his uniform consisted of?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 17:30 pm 

Not sure mate i will ask him at the right time, i suspect his uniform so he did not get classed as a spy maybe possibly with a civi coat on top. By the way he actually hates the French and the only reason i can think of is that it was French artillery that hit them and a French FOE who came to him, he has a fixed wrist that is the result of a firefight with some Germans and got a bullet from an MP38 though it. He also tells me they found a bombed out bank on the retreat and one bloke pinched a load of money including coinage and when they were being picked up the weight of the money dragged him down and he drowned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 19:52 pm 

Next time you see your Dad, shake his hand and say thank from Gerwyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 20:11 pm 

Will do guys and thanks from me on his behalf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 23:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

I have been told that all Agents for the SOE were made commissioned officers once the training was finished. It was thought that as an officer if they were captured they would be better treated by the enemy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 am 

Would it have made any difference to them when caught, if they were a officer or not, they wore civilian cloths.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 20:27 pm 
1000+ Poster

pioneer64 wrote:
Would it have made any difference to them when caught, if they were a officer or not, they wore civilian cloths.

No but remember at the start most of the British Officers played by the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 20:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: GI44-45
dcdl12976 wrote:
The story as i know it only told to me a couple of years ago.

Dad was in France with the 1st Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment 6 Brigade he spent his 21st birthday (24th October) on the Belgium border later they retreated to a place called St Venant in northern France where his platoon was guarding a crossroads near a footbridge over the canal when they were hit by there own artillery killing most and wounding Dad he tells me his mate Jonno (the son of a retired Brigadier) died in his arms at the crossroads and he buried him there, after this a forward artillery controller ran up saying how sorry he was they thought the Germans were in that area.

Dad was evacuated from Brey sands and returned to England to hospital in Warwick where he knew Jonno,s parents lived so he asked a nurse to get the Brigadier and his wife to come and see him so he could tell them what had happened to there son, after leaving hospital he was told he was not going back to the Royal Berks but was going for Parachute training. He went to RAF Cardington (Home of the airships) and did parachute drops from balloons (yes i know all para training was supposedly done at Ringway but he is adamant). Next he was sent to the South coast at Shorncliff to a small airfield close by and remembers on nights off going to a ballroom overlooking the cliffs and it was from that airfield he made a lot of landings or para drops into occupied Northern France delivering equipment and people to the resistance, i asked him why he was chosen and he said because they wanted people with a knowledge of the area and who spoke fluent French (which until then i did not know he spoke french).

This is as much as i have been able to get out of him im afraid, he keeps telling me he didnt know who he was working for which i dont believe though apparently many working for MI5 and SOE did not, difficult to prove since most of SOE,s records were destroyed by fire in there offices in Baker street just after the war.

Sorry i cant tell you more but i only got this out of him because he asked me to find out if Jonno was buried in a proper cemetary (which i did and he is (Haverskerque) just North of where he was killed and quickly buried.

Shornecliffe Army camp is located close to RAF Hawkinge in Kent. Apart from that and some small landing grounds in the area that's the only airfield I can think of that would have supported SOE drops. Certainly something I wasn't aware of so thanks for the info! :D

brought my battalion to the briefing prior to Normandy, I had the finest combat-ready force of its size that will ever be known. By the time I gathered them together in Normandy, half were gone. I charge you: put us down in Holland or put us down in hell, but put us all down
together in one place, or I will hound you to your graves."

Lt. Col. Mendez, Commanding Officer 3rd Bn 508th PIR 82nd Abn Div