WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 0:56 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: SOE 'Patch'
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 22:20 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: 16 Parachute Field Ambulance
OC1PARA wrote:
Was told that the copy of the patch it self was taken from a origional within the SAS museum at Hereford

Sorry but there is NO SAS Museum in Hereford. Your talking total rubbish!

There is the Violette Szabo Museum just outside of town in Wormelow. Which is dedicated to her and other FANY's in SOE. But it houses nothing on this fictitious patch.

http://www.violette-szabo-museum.co.uk/foyer.htm

Danny - telling history how it was, not adding shiney bits. :evil:

Remembering the 36th Regiment of Foot, Herefordshire Militia, Herefordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, Herefordshire Regiment, Hereford Light Infantry, Light Infantry and the Rifles.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 22:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: 3 PARA Reenactment Group
LancEng156 wrote:
Sorry but there is NO SAS Museum in Hereford. Your talking total rubbish!

There is the Violette Szabo Museum just outside of town in Wormelow. Which is dedicated to her and other FANY's in SOE. But it houses nothing on this fictitious patch.

http://www.violette-szabo-museum.co.uk/foyer.htm

Danny - telling history how it was, not adding shiney bits. :evil:

Im not 100% sure where it came from, was trying to remember what he said, been a while since he told me. I know the replica patch's were taken from 1 existing patch though. If you want more info on them ask the boss of 2nd sas. I never put them on but just have them. You know the badge just didnt appear on the DVD cover by accident so the producers must have also got it from some where also. As if they was worn thats another question altogether and as I dont do SOE I aint much bothered in looking either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 22:42 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Theres a round about the same arguement about the cut down para wing (no crown, clipped wings) with a star brazed over the canister under the parachute. This is described as the "Jedburgh cap badge", but there is no real pictoral evidence of such, only one picture that i can think of, but this is decided to be post war. The badge has been tracked to either an early free french para thing, or post war indo-china french wing.

I've recently been told a free french para cap badge I have is most likely to be a fantasy item, but theres no evidence to prove its right, or maybe wrong. In cases like these and the SOE patch, I'd say if theres no photo evidence, suspect it, as badges can just turn up anywhere and be taken as whatevers preached about them, museums are big culprits of this (ie, one museum staff member telling kids a block of blanco was a soldiers tea ration).

Would be interesting to get the 2nd SAS Boss' info on this.

Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 22:43 pm 
2000+ Poster

Must of been a post war thing.

http://southstaffswaterarchives.org.uk/ ... 0Years.pdf

Collecting officers service dress and OR/EM uniforms of the following,
Worcestershire regiment 2nd div 7th battalion
USMC dress blues and winter greens
USN pto uniforms

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 23:00 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: 16 Parachute Field Ambulance
A post war, fantasy, reunion badge, thank goodness thats put to bed. Otherwise next we'll see it stuck on Belgium denisons. :lol: :lol:

Danny

Remembering the 36th Regiment of Foot, Herefordshire Militia, Herefordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, Herefordshire Regiment, Hereford Light Infantry, Light Infantry and the Rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 23:43 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

There also seems to be confusion over the use of a smaller SF type wing aswell, but these apparently were actually Jedburgh reunion badges.

http://jedburghs.ifrance.com/PgeInsignes.htm

This page shows an example of the smaller wing (down at bottom on a denison), the "Jedburgh cap badge", and the photo I mentioned.
With there being SAARF in the photograph this is dated to be at least march 45, but again the cap badge in question is not clearly seen.

Paul.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:22 am 

Group: Desperately Looking!
Danny......Im not sure if you are aware of what has happened within the old group...but myself Chris and OG are no longer with them. There are many reasons...one being peoples insistence on wearing shiny bits.

Whilst myself and others really appreciated your input in regards to uniforms and insignia on the old site, I dont recall anyone being just downright rude to you????

Chris has been asking for info...fair enough??? There really is no need for ridicule. Why get shot down in flames for asking for help? Its not helpful and its an attitude like that that makes a lot of people wonder whether its worth continuing in this hobby.

One could also assume that your comment about Belguim Denisons was aimed our way? For myself Im quite confident in my impression, its as good as its going to be this year, perhaps next year I will learn something new so I can get it better, but I wont learn from comments like yours.

Stop generalising and tarring everyone with the FARBY brush. Not everyone is as blessed as you! Paul we have no contact with 2nd SAS and never will do!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 14:17 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

RedBall wrote:
Danny......Im not sure if you are aware of what has happened within the old group...but myself Chris and OG are no longer with them. There are many reasons...one being peoples insistence on wearing shiny bits.

Even I am guilty of this charge, ask Phil :lol:

OC1PARA wrote:
I never put them on but just have them.

Chris was in good judgement suspecting that it may have not been totally right and not wearing it, a lesson I've learnt the hard way.

RedBall wrote:
Paul we have no contact with 2nd SAS and never will do!!!!

Can see that, I was just stating that now we know the originator of info for this patch was the 2nd SAS boss then maybe he's watching this thread and could comment on where he got the information from, was all I meant.

Paul.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 17:08 pm 

Group: Desperately Looking!
Paul Im not having a go at you!!!...just very very very very fed up with the whole situation with peoples propensity to attack rather than educate.

In fact Im so fed up with the whole thing that Im going to go to Waltham in my best BD 2nd SAS and say farewell to the world of WW2 Reenactment. This incidentally will be my first and LAST event as a Brit soldier or any WW2 soldier.

This thread has been very tame in regards to other threads on 2nd SAS but Im still amazed at the vitriole, anger, ridicule and even hatred that comes across in some posts. Im so fed up with the self opinionated people who have voted themselves in as 'The Authenticity Police'

Ive totally taken on board other peoples suggestions re uniform etc etc and to be honest my ideas werent that far away anyway as I have done my own research. However when you start to worry about asking for help on this forum and what responses you will get its time to call it a day. This is a HOBBY!!!! Not a way of life. Ive done my time carrying fecking logs up sand hills, trooping the colour etc etc et al.

Im not in the SAS or never claimed to be.....I RE ENACT an operational Sgt of 2 SAS....REENACT, and I do this to the best of my ability with the funds available. I have a partner and three kids...my youngest daughter is disabled, I have health problems.......stack this up against the problems of 2nd SAS then its really small fry isnt it.

If you are lucky enough to have loads of spare cash, no kids, no debts and loads of spare time on your hands fine...I hope you spend your time wisely in the pursuit of WW2 perfection. To us mere mortals who have a life beyond 1944 then Im afraid real life gets in the way.

I havent met many of you but I believe Im a nice chap trying to get things right. Ive said it before in another thread but I never realised I had to spend three years doing colour service in a mere line infantry regiment before I could further my interest in special forces. But then I could have done the Parachute Regiment because my father was in, or the Household Cavalry because I was in that..or the Gordons because I had two relatives killed with them....its unfortunate that I seem to have a choice of elite regiments? I can only guess the reception on here if Id chosen to do Guards Armoured or Lovats Scouts.....( because I play the pipes )

Having an interest in anything 'special' seems to be frowned upon. Why is that? Do the people who portray The Royal Norfolk Regiment not think that their chosen regiment is special??

Anyway I digress......We are all reenactors..none of us are special forces, South staffs, 101st, 82nd, RAC or SOE. None of us have jumped into an operational area or been shot at by the SS. None of us have lost a leg due to incoming mortar rounds.None of us have frozen to death in the Ardennes or lost a plt sgt to sniper fire..we are all normal human beings getting dressed up for a week end or two to enjoy ourselves and educate.

I spent about 5 years doing 18th century reenactment which is a lot harder to get right than any other period. Most of my kit was made by me or a friend and copied from period portraits. Not once at any event did I ever hear of anyone getting run down by another because of their turnout. We certainly made every effort to get it right and must have done something right as we were allowed to play in Stirling Castle, Stoke Park, Kingussie Highland Folk Museum...basically anywhere that the NT or SH owned.

So Im going to be strutting around Waltham like a fecking peacock...just dont come at me from behind ( oo er ) Im liable to be a tad nervous and use my 'special forces FS fighting manouveres hip throw' (page 38 Osprey book for the lazy and terminally short of knowledge)

Major Farewell Rant over!!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 18:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: 3 PARA Reenactment Group
On no you dont Doug, you going know where, we have worked to hard already. I dont care what people say, if they want to be rude I treat them with the same respect, if there a normal re-enactor, friendly and helpfull I will treat them that way. Will talk to you tonight bud...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 18:38 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Lovat Scouts/GHG Aux/Churchills Med Raiders/AFRA
Doug,
Don't do it, unfortunatley some people arn't part of the diplomat Corps, also some are less forth coming with constructive critisism, sad but true, as we are all guilty of it we forget we had to start at the beginning and i fortunatley through re enacting have had the majority of the time great help and constructive critics.

Doug you would always be welcome with the Lovat Scouts :D they were special in my eyes 8)

Unfortunatley Doug you had a kick in the teeth from one individual who let you down badly, but you raised yourself over that one, you can do it again mate.

Andy

"I would have liked to have lived, but god has willed other wise, I will have done my share to make this world a better place in which we live.Maybe when the lights go on again all over the world, free people can be happy and gay again... if i failed as a leader, and pray god i didn't, it was not because i did not try"
Capt Henry T Waskow, 143 Regiment, 36 "Texas" Division, last will and testament, killed 14 December 1943 Hill 730 San Pietro, Italy

http://www.glamorganhomeguard.webs.com

Lovat Scouts

Phantom GHQ Liasion Regiment

http://www.averyspecialregiment.co.uk

Proud 2nd Place winners of "Best Group on Field or in arena"
Fortress Wales 2008

Churchills Mediterranean Raiders
http://cmr1.webs.com/