WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 23:37 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Battle 360
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 21:04 pm 

Group: NWW2A
I have been watching the History Channel/Discovery Channel. Again Battle 360 has been shown again and again I have watched it. You know the one, about the carrier Enterprise and the naval battles in the Pacific. The first time i saw it i was so engrossed in the action ,the old archive film, the computer animations, etc that I missed most half the documentary.
I will make one thing clear here. I am no lover of the Japanese nation, as a lot of Europeans are no lover of the German or Italian nations for the same reason as I. My late father was a Chindit, 16th Special Brigade. He fought in Burma behind the Japanese lines and saw things that, well the less said the better. Please, I do not hate the Japanese people. I diverse
I do realise that naval and air warfare is somewhat different than ground or jungle warfare. You have nowhere to hide. Watching this documentary again made me realise that these two peoples, from different sides of our world, were both brave, at times fool hardy young men. Fighting not only to sink each others carriers but to save their home, their home being their carrier.The young Japanese pilots were just as brave as any in the world, probably braver. Fighting their way through Yanky fighters, AA fire of superb 40mm and 20mm and .5inch MGs. Some if hit carrying on in their dive to commit suicide to score a hit, (silly to us) but out of desperation for them.The Yanks were noneless brave, they too fought their way through Jap fighters and a hail of AA.
As the veterans are interviewed today, Yank and Jap, none of them are really happy about what they had to do. Yet alas we never learn.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username