WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 23:42 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: body armour
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 19:17 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 JRA
The Japanese used a number of different styles of body armour during ww2. There use appears to have been mainly by NLF troops, although there is a common misconception that its actually armour for Snipers but there is no evidence to support this view.

Most of the body armour sets weighed in at around 9 pounds and the steel was just a few mm thick giving it a very poor protection level, war time tests showed it was easily penetrated by .303 ball ammunition at a range of 100 yards with a 30 degree angle of impact.

Captured examples of japanese body armour

A rare surviving example of Japanese navy body armour

The following couple of photos show the Japanese turtle shell armour, designed for use on beaches. Little is known about this style of armour and my sources in Japan have suggested this a pre war experiment that wasn't actually deployed in combat but who knows

Japanese Reenactors forum http://z13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/index.php?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: body armour
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 20:34 pm 

Wasn't this kind of amour useless? I mean steel plates?
It has got to be heavy and cumbersome, and in a humid and warm environment I can't really see myself carry steel plates.
Though the navy one makes more sense to me.
Didn't the Russians use something similar?

/Aleksander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 21:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
It's interesting that those designs were used, bearing in mind the Samurai Armours, and the wonders of Silk.

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 16:45 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 JRA
HaugM55q wrote:
It has got to be heavy and cumbersome, and in a humid and warm environment I can't really see myself carry steel plates.

/Aleksander

Pretty much, its only useful for low velocity shrapnel hits. war time tests showed it was easily penetrated by .303 ball ammunition at a range of 100 yards with a 30 degree angle of impact.

I've worn that set for a full weekend, and to be honest wearing it is not to much of a chore, 9 pounds is not particulary heavily and it may have had a positive psychological effect on the guy wearing it atleast

Japanese Reenactors forum http://z13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/index.php?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
HaugM55q wrote:

/Aleksander

Assault engineers had SN42 body armour. It was never intended to be bullet proof. It was only to offer protection from primary and secondary fragments while doing stuff like cutting wire during a bombardment. I'm wearing a repro set in this picture. http://gallery.me.com/nickcouldry#10018 ... olor=black

There are stories of guys wearing this armour taking sub machine gun hits at range and surviving. I'd imagine they'd be mightily bruised though! :D

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 17:15 pm 

Frontovik wrote:
HaugM55q wrote:

/Aleksander

Assault engineers had SN42 body armour. It was never intended to be bullet proof. It was only to offer protection from primary and secondary fragments while doing stuff like cutting wire during a bombardment. I'm wearing a repro set in this picture. http://gallery.me.com/nickcouldry#10018 ... olor=black

There are stories of guys wearing this armour taking sub machine gun hits at range and surviving. I'd imagine they'd be mightily bruised though! :D

Ahhh I see... Well sub-machine-gun fire were "only" 9 mm Parabellum (if it was German sub machine-gun fire, and not some crazy officer shooting you because you have had enough, and decided to leave) But I can imagine they would be bruised afterwards ...

Thank you for the info!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 17:20 pm 

Tanaka wrote:
HaugM55q wrote:

/Aleksander

Pretty much, its only useful for low velocity shrapnel hits. war time tests showed it was easily penetrated by .303 ball ammunition at a range of 100 yards with a 30 degree angle of impact.

I've worn that set for a full weekend, and to be honest wearing it is not to much of a chore, 9 pounds is not particulary heavily and it may have had a positive psychological effect on the guy wearing it atleast

Well we better not underestimate the psychological effect :wink:
Is it really only 9 pounds? How thick is it?
Hmm, but how would it feel to wear it under very humid conditions? Like a jungle environment?