WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 21:07 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:27 am 

Group: RNRLHG
Hi all,

I have decided that next year I would like to portray a member of the Alexandrov ensemble during the Great patriotic war. I am thinking later war rather than earlier i.e. 1944/1945. I am learning to play accordion and so I think it would be something a little different which can combine both hobbies. The question is what uniform/insignia would they have. What songs are people fans of/ or were liked be the troops in the Great patriotic war?

"Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers."

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 18:59 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Songs...

My suggestions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyusha_(song)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svyaschennaya_Voyna

Two of the most popular wartime songs...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 20:27 pm 

Thanks Andrei Kozlov I will add them to my repertoire. Others I have included are the Soviet National Anthem, V Put and The Red Army is the strongest among others.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:29 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Yeah V'rut is a good one.

I'd maybe suggest Kalinka too - it predates Soviet times but its popularity is timeless.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 20:29 pm 

Can anyone offer any help regarding uniform and insignia?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 15:26 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Comrade, A Google image search indicates Officers Uniform but with your Parade/everyday O/R insignia, makes sense as it is a later Dress regulation variation we are aware of in the Obr 69 Regulations for the protection of World Peace.

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 20:07 pm 

Hi Comrade Viktor,
Many thanks for your help. I will get to work on this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 20:26 pm 

What exactly would be the officer's uniform in this time period and what insignia would I have? I am relatively new to Russian re-enactment mainly doing British at the moment and I'm unfamiliar with the customs laid down - I almost understand the EM's uniform etc though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:31 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

It depends on which Dress Regulations Obr 35 or 43 Comrade, Obr 43 would be easier but both can be sourced from the reproduction companies we favour.

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

(Soviet folk-saying)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:35 am 

So officers dress regulations changed at the same time as EM's. In that case as I'm doing late war I'll do Obr 43. I would imagine I'm correct in saying Schuster would be the best source?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:36 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
V'put. Cracking song, one of my favourites, but it's 1954 from the film Maksim Perepelitsa not wartime.

http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/download ... ame=vput10

Trawl this site.
http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/

And I'd be happy if you learnt this :)
http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/download ... e=wingpray

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 22:04 pm 

Hi Frontovik,
Thanks for your reply. I may include V'put but then again maybe I won't as it's not wartime.... decisions, decisions...
I'll have a look at those sites, they look like a great resource. If it will please you then I will have a go at learning comin' in on a wing and a prayer... could be in an alternative repertoire though (as will the rendition of it's a long way to Tipperary from Das Boot). If only the Russians had sung blood upon the risers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:21 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Comrade,

We strongly advise you to only learn authorised musical pieces and your Play List is cleared by your Political Officer and his Department before each time you play to the heroic defenders of Mother Russia.

We all exercise Political Discipline, it is not even a requirement, it JUST IS.

:wink:

( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

(An old Russia lady)

(Soviet folk-saying)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 am 

Dearest comrade,
I think it will be in the interests of the motherland if I post up my repertoire for the kind peoples of this forum to verify as suitable for the gallant defenders of the red banner to hear. I concur that only wartime songs will be played... a ridiculous suggestion by myself at the thought of songs being played that have not yet been invented...
The pride of the soviet peoples must be maintained at all times following the political criteria as laid down at the formation of the ensemble.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 19:10 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
airborne1234 wrote:
...as will the rendition of it's a long way to Tipperary from Das Boot...

Ah! There is a Russian version of Long Way to Tipperary scored slightly differently. The trouble is finding it in amongst post war renditions of the English song.

It was in the film The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming.

edit: It's on iTunes on the film soundtrack.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 21:20 pm 

There we go comrade. If the people choose this 'Long way to Tipperary song' then it shall be performed.