WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:07 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 14:36 pm 

I have HD transfers of the arrival of the Russian Delegation led by Vice Admiral Kharlamov from 10th Februry 1944. The visit was offered by Churchill and Roosevelt at the Tehran conference to satisfy Stalin of their intent to attack the Germans on the Western Front in mid 1944. I need help identifying the personnel in the Russian party and would appreciate if there is any interest. Talking with US Army personnel who were present, despite the signs at the demonstrations being written in English AND Russian, the majority believed the visitors were French Canadian Navy, as they wore US Navy jackets and 'spoke with a funny language' .

If there is sufficient interest, I can post photos from the films. Most of the activity is the arrival at Barnstaple Station, the mock battle on Woolacombe beach and the extensive weapons demos on Braunton Burrows.

This was, I believe, a significant event in securing continued Russian support at a time when there had been heavy losses in the Red Army.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 16:43 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Would be interested in seeing the video, its not one I have seen before.

Significant losses from the Red Army? Hmmm around the time of Feb '44 their advance to Berlin was long underway, the tide had ultimately turned at Kursk (ending August '43) and the continuous offensive to victory was rolling forward.

The only significant thing I can think of from around this period was the breaking of the seige of Leningrad in January 44.

That seige was one of the longest, drawn out unpleasantnesses of the war (in a war without a lack of nastyness).

But anyway, "signifacant losses in the Red Army" - that was the lot of the Red Army for the entire Great Patriotic War. They suffered and died for the People's triumph.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 17:05 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
I'd definitely be interested in seeing the film but, as Andy says from the end of Kursk onwards RKKA loss rates tend to decline and despite much Western writings on the subject after the war they were never in danger of not being able to maintain their strength.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 19:53 pm 

Hi guys, I'm only responding to the minutes of the Tehran conference .. obviously Stalin was playing some cards to his advantage in citing - in particular those Red Army concerns.
I'll dig out the comments from Stalin and post them as well as provide a video link later after Christmas. I hoped some of you might have a different take ... appreciate the comments.
All helps to paint the correct picture. I've found a load of inconsistencies in many reports. There was a war going on, and a lot of reporting is skewed - in favour usually of the reporting identity.