WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 18:59 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Greatcoats
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:22 pm 

Group: Volkssturm Werwolf
Looking for advice as to patterns used and where to get a correct WW2 pattern greatcoat ( excuse my ignorance comrades ,I am currently undergoing cultural re education :wink: )

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Greatcoats
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:31 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
You have two choices:

1) Use a 70's/80's "brezhnev" shinel, remove the postwar insignia and false plastic buttons, costs about 30 quid.

2) Buy a repro one 35 or 41 pattern which is correct, costs about 100 quid.

The cut of the postwar ones is noticably different, the way in which they were intended to be worn was different. The colour is also wrong, despite what some will tell you!!!

Like so many reenactment things, the stuff we used to use is being replaced with much more accurate repros now which finally are available for RKKA.

Several different manufacturers, all from the former Soviet Union, all make excellent accurate copies.

Schuster is one of the best known makers, have a look at this page:

http://www.schuster.ru/ru/rus-18-45/uniform

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:40 pm 

Schuster site looks superb, thanks for the intel,
I assume it's like the situation years ago with German kit when all that was available was dodgy post war converted stuff gradually replaced by accurate repro's...I assume schuster kit is fairly decent quality ?... ie would you know are greatcoats made of proper thick material rather than thin tunic weight like Sturm German ones for instance?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:50 pm 
4000+ Poster

Schuster's stuff is absolutely 100% museum accurate gear.

He's not the only one though, there are several others but his site is the best online reference.

You are right though, we've always had either postwar stuff thats sort of right (50's gear was ok, but its long gone these days) or rubbish repros via a few of the US dealers made in the far east.

The advent of the former Soviet dealers to support their massively popular domestic reconstruction scene and movies is what has shifted things up a gear or seven.

Whilst the decent gear is maybe twice the price of the rubbish, its still not that expensive really as a typical RKKA soldat didn't actually have a lot of gear to start with...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:55 pm 

That's good to know re Schuster, I assume shipping to UK has proved reliable etc in your experience with them ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:58 pm 
4000+ Poster

Yeah he is fine.

You have to watch out for delays with various holidays and heavy orders for things around May 9th (Victory Day!) but other than that he does work to a slightly different time scale to European expectations...

Give him plenty of time and be patient, it will come, he is trustworthy. We've used him quite a few times and a couple of our guys have met him in the Motherland at various events with Russian based groups.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:04 pm 

Fair enough as long as stuff arrives eventually ! ..btw any other stockists of good Soviet issue you can recommend ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 15:49 pm 
4000+ Poster

Buy most of it from Schuster is my suggestion :)

And I'm not on commission, its just what I would do if it were me now...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:17 pm 

Schuster looks to be v good kit for sure ( and ample opportunity to spend loads!) obviously I will be doing my best to research the whole subject in order to hopefully avoid any evil Pokemonist tendencies.. many thanks for your help comrade! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:34 pm 
4000+ Poster

Just stick to the basics is my suggestion.

He does make a lot of rare/early kit which wasn't available later in the war. Its nice if you want to do Winter War, but a lot of it was used up in 41 never to be seen again....

Which period are you looking at? Early (41-42) or late (43-45)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:28 pm 

Not sure really at this point, I assume the most common impression done is late war, although earlier is possibly more interesting !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 22:03 pm 

Schuster is great (currently got an order being made) second time I've bought kit from them and it's great, took two weeks to arrive in the UK, half of that was customs the other half was transport around the uk! only problem was no buttons on my Obr43 for my shoulder buttons and the buttons o nthe front are post war stay brights but not a huge problem compared to some i've seen.

Only thing Schuster isn't selling (yet!) is the sapogi which is the boots, I'd say go to Voen for them, bit expensive but they are quick dispatch and arrival and are 100% correct with the spotted tread.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:45 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Comrade,
The message that the "make dos" that were accepted from the early struggle of UK SSR Reconstruction of Finnish Aggression, the crimes of Pit Viper Treachery, the lack of serious support from other members of the Antigitlerite Coalition, to the final crushing of the cancer of Gitlerism are now capital crimes against the Norms for Dress Regulations Obr35/43 is now finally getting through.

And we only work to laid down Norms.

The Genossen decided the converted Swedish garments were nicht in Ordnung and the Stitchgruppen der SD enforced that Führerbefehl, within Progressive Reconstruction KOMSTITCH is enforcing our new Norms of Scale of Issue/Dress regulation.

The UKSSR seems to largely get the gag, our Comrades on the USA SSR Fronts still have a strong pokemon heresy in some of their Military Districts that is being liquidated for Anti soviet behaviour to State Norms of the era for the degitleration of the human race.

There is not a step back from this Historic Mission Comrades.

Urrah!

:D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:15 am 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
If you decide to reconstruct the early war phase, make sure your greatcoat is cut full under the arms. it makes it easier to get your hands nice and high in the air as you shuffle off into captivity. :twisted:

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 17:29 pm 
4000+ Poster

You probably also want mud, lice and a high degree of ming in it to prevent some thieving freezing fascist thinking it looks nice and stealing it from you because its warmer than the rubbish they are wearing ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 18:21 pm 

Andrei Kozlov wrote:
You probably also want mud, lice and a high degree of ming in it to prevent some thieving freezing fascist thinking it looks nice and stealing it from you because its warmer than the rubbish they are wearing ;-)

..I've been doing wire fencing in a very muddy horse field all day today ,and am scratching me head as we speak, so pretty much got that covered comrade ! :D