WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 21:10 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Medics satchel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am 
 WWW  Profile

I have a post war medics bag and its getting a bit minging. I was about to give it a gentle hand wash when I noticed that there seems to be paper/cardboard in the rear side panel (the bit that would be resting against you). Is this normal? I know its post war but if it's unusual and shouldn't be there I wouldn't want to destroy it - never know it could be some sort of letter - "Help! trapped in GULAG making kit and the guy I'm sharing with - Solzhenitsyn or something - is really doing my head in".

Any info gratefully received Genossen.

Schultze

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Medics satchel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
I'll ask my contacts..... 8)

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:47 pm 
4000+ Poster

The chances are its something interesting. The Soviets seem to have been ahead of the game when it comes to re use recycle :)
Maybe an old copy of Pravda ? :)
One day I will have to post a photo,but,my origional 35 uniform has lining/binding( the reinforcment round seams) made from some ladies summer dress material,all pretty little blue flowers :)

War,huh,what is it good for? Absolutly nothin'.......but some jolly good films

. -. --. .-.. .- -. -.. / . -..- .--. . -.-. - ... / . ...- . .-. -.-- -- .- -. / - --- / -.. --- / .... .. ... / -.. ..- - -.--

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 13:09 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: За Оборону и В.И.К "Патриот"
Oh yes - all types of weird and wonderful lining materials were used during the war - clothing was always a problem to come by in the USSR. (it's still bloody expensive now)

This is why original kit pulls in a high price because most people often carried on wearing their old uniforms long after demob until they finally fell apart.

For example if you got issued with a telogrika you'd naturally hang on to it as a coat.

One reason that even today when many Russians come home from work they immediately change into their 'house clothes' so as not to wear out the clothes they wear in public too quickly.

"Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 13:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Thanks Comrades. After attempting to demolish the EU washing pile and DIY dry cleaning (off to a wedding and need to get my Tracht cleaned in a hurry...using Vodka to remove dried in curry sauce) I'll carefully take some stitches out to see what it is. Will let you know...

Wait out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 13:25 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: За Оборону и В.И.К "Патриот"
Ahhh - see, they'd (Russians) would say that's why you should have house clothes!

"Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 19:43 pm 
3000+ Poster

Hmmm, there's loads of variations. How's your Russian? This the type I have though mine is post war satellite (use if not production). It certainly feels as if it's got card stiffener in it.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:04 am 
 WWW  Profile

Comrades, I report back. Alas, it was just a blue-grey cardboard. Nothing special to report. Unlike the Homburg I hat I once bought in a Berlin charity shop for 1DM...the previous owner had made it tighter by folding up a newspaper and stuffing it inside the leather sweatband...it was a church newspaper c.1928 warning against the evils of both the right and the left. Whatever they are.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 17:59 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Oh such newspaper stuffage is quite common with Germans (of any political leaning).

I have some top newspaper items from the Workers' and Farmers' State used as hat stuffing :)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 am 

Group: Red Guard
Frontovik,

Do you know what year manual your posted page scans come from?

Many thanks,
Sherri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 19:48 pm 
3000+ Poster

Hi Sherri, I'm afraid I don't have the date for the manual but I understand it's pre-war.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Quote: