WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:53 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 20:16 pm 

Hi,

I have 3 US army officer cap badges that are uncertain for me.

Two are 'standard' design, but 2"x2" with screw post and a pin at the top. Are these US Army Female Officer cap badges from WW2 era/ Korea or are they pre-ww2 officer cap badges?

The badge without the shield of stars - is it a National Guard badge? Again, it is 2"x2" and has English-style attachment lugs??!

Thanks for suggestions,

Tom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 13:26 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
One way to date WWII badges etc is to look at the fasteners, most I think of the smaller ones, rank, branch etc. were clutch back in WWII. I have seen original Officers caps with the screw back fitting on the badge, it is possible there were different sizes to accommodate the different styles of Officers hat that were around over the different forces ??

Essentially the Officers cap badge is a representation of the Great Seal of the USA, as such the 13 stars above should always be there as they are an important factor in the design of the seal, the 13 stars representing the original 13 colonies. If you count the arrows you will see there are 13 of them too, it is an important factor in US heraldic history and design, and I'm wondering if the badge without that is something someone has modified for whatever reason as I cant see any official badge or crest being deliberately designed without that circle of stars given its significance .... I could be wrong of course but would ask, does it look like there are marks on the side of the banner where one could have been removed ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 14:14 pm 

i believe the one without the shield of stars is

British Home Guard 1st American Squadron.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 2100a0f168
http://www.relicmilitaria.com/product/b ... cap-badge/

1st American Squadron of the Home Guard

On 17 May 1940, the United States Embassy advised the 4000 Americans living in Great Britain to return home "as soon possible." A sterner message in June warned "that this may be the last opportunity for Americans to get home until after the war." Many Americans chose to remain, and on 1 June 1940 the 1st American Squadron of the Home Guard was formed in London. They had average strength of 60-70, and were commanded by General Wade H. Hayes. The U.S. ambassador in London, Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr., opposed the mustering of citizens from a neutral power. He feared that in the event of invasion, a civilian squadron would make all citizens of the then still-neutral U.S.A. living in London liable to be shot by the invading Germans as francs-tireurs.[32][33]

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 14:38 pm 

i suspect that the larger badges are for the peaked and crusher cap and the smaller ones are for the beret

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 14:52 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I'm not sure US forces wore the beret until well after WWII ...???

I found the info re US Home Guard badge interesting ... have to disagree with the comment in one of the links though ... " It was worn by American Soldiers and officers who were stationed in Britain during WWII. " ... All Official US servicemen wore the same uniform and badges/insignia wherever they were stationed, that it was the US HG badge and did not have the 13 stars to signify that is an understandable explanation.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 16:49 pm 

All interesting ideas. Keep them coming.

Much appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 21:26 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Not exactly ideas really are they, more fact ...

The badge without the Globe and stars is the badge of the 1st American Squadron of the Home Guard, that's beyond doubt and yours is probably a Brit made one being as it has the two fixing loops, they were worn on side caps as issued to the US Home Guard.

The other badges, the full US Seal ones are as worn by all Officers of the US Army and Army Air Corps in WWII, usually it seems with the screw back on it, the difference in sizes more than likely due to the difference in sizes between the men's and the women's hats.

A little bit of research reveals that the reason the globe and stars aren't on the Home Guard badge is because it is only authorised for Federal troops.

What I like about things like this is the ability to learn new things, I had no idea until this topic came up that there was a US HG group in the UK in WWII.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 18:38 pm 

You're quite right. Thank you.