WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:32 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Your Supper unit show what the Yank refers to I think.
The outer is coloured olive drab and the inside shows the greyish-tan.
The breakfast unit varies from that ideal, so, there are off pattern examples of many items produced during the war. Anomalies are almost to be expected, there was a war on you know.
No more unusual than seeing morale boxes in theatre before full production was instigated.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:45 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
LeMaitre wrote:
Your Supper unit show what the Yank refers to I think.
The outer is coloured olive drab and the inside shows the greyish-tan.

Last time I was picking olives in Italy, they had a green tint, an olive colour, no matter, I guess we better not use the term "chocolates" when referring to US Officers Class A dress then :wink:

LeMaitre wrote:
The breakfast unit varies from that ideal, so, there are off pattern examples of many items produced during the war. Anomalies are almost to be expected, there was a war on you know.

Same packing contractor, different year, supply and demand, availability of materials and all that...

LeMaitre wrote:
No more unusual than seeing morale boxes in theatre before full production was instigated.

I do believe you are joking :lol:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I've heard it said, "always great when you have the real thing to do research" which is fairly accurate, however, just cause one has one item and one says "I have one, that's how they where" you find another, from same year, same specs, different manufacturer or packer, and hey presto, it's completely different...

I also go by what a contractor for these rations would have before them, and I'm wondering if any ration officianados are aware that the shipping cases, the wooden boxes, where supposed to be stained brown, with metal straps, indeed, the specifications for them included cleats on the sides like the D ration boxes have...

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I understand one of the reasons Olive drab paint was used was the fact it had no expensive green pigment in it.
Paint wise it is more of a brown shade. Black and ocher yellow pigments if I remember correctly.
Olives are picked at various stages of ripening, purple is an equally valid colour for an olive, your experience of green olives does not preclude that.
The colour in question though is not Olive Green but Olive Drab, it cannot be pinned down to one shade, the US army having a long list of OD shades it used.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:46 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

LeMaitre wrote:
I understand one of the reasons Olive drab paint was used was the fact it had no expensive green pigment in it.
Paint wise it is more of a brown shade. Black and ocher yellow pigments if I remember correctly.
Olives are picked at various stages of ripening, purple is an equally valid colour for an olive, your experience of green olives does not preclude that.
The colour in question though is not Olive Green but Olive Drab, it cannot be pinned down to one shade, the US army having a long list of OD shades it used.

Agreed, so dark brown is now olive drab?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

SaddleTramp wrote:
and hey presto, it's completely different.

I dont see why that is a surprise?
Anomalies are to be expected.
Those who champion only one possibility are usually very wrong.
Never say never when dealing with history.
The best that can be hoped for is to work within a set of boundaries, yours and others research will set them. You can then work within them, get too close to the edge and you may find you are questioned and asked to justify your use. Thats quite normal for the unusual, try to be different and you push the boundaries and will need to have the data handy. Most wont have seen it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

SaddleTramp wrote:

No, Olive Drab is Olive Drab.
Olive Drab paint might look brown, indeed it had a tendency to fade to a very brown shade.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

LeMaitre wrote:
SaddleTramp wrote:

No, Olive Drab is Olive Drab.
Olive Drab paint might look brown, indeed it had a tendency to fade to a very brown shade.

But the examples I've shown from early war boxes are both dark brown, the later one, white, is white also olive drab?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

LeMaitre wrote:
SaddleTramp wrote:
and hey presto, it's completely different.

I dont see why that is a surprise?
Anomalies are to be expected.
Those who champion only one possibility are usually very wrong.
Never say never when dealing with history.
The best that can be hoped for is to work within a set of boundaries, yours and others research will set them. You can then work within them, get too close to the edge and you may find you are questioned and asked to justify your use. Thats quite normal for the unusual, try to be different and you push the boundaries and will need to have the data handy. Most wont have seen it.

Exactly... :wink: :D

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 22:08 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Yay! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Almost all US Army WWII colors were officially described as "Olive Drab", and some of those had no connecton to green, brown, or yellow anyway. No surprise Yank used that description, also because the term, in the context, contains a sarcastic hint which any GI of the era would have gotten.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 15:09 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Kilroy_ wrote:
Almost all US Army WWII colors were officially described as "Olive Drab", and some of those had no connecton to green, brown, or yellow anyway. No surprise Yank used that description, also because the term, in the context, contains a sarcastic hint which any GI of the era would have gotten.

Well, there is that :wink: :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:08 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Date on Yank Mag; Sept 1st 1944 ...

Caption reads; "Dining out in France"

Ration; K ration, light shade "Mid War" style

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:08 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Well done Paul, now every Tom, Dick and Hank will be wearing top hats.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:20 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

LeMaitre wrote:
Well done Paul, now every Tom, Dick and Hank will be wearing top hats.

At least they'll "have a photo" dated and verified :roll: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 16:22 pm 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
Here's that 4th Infantry one from August '44 with the caption on it that's missing from page 1 of this thread:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next