WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 13:35 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:03 am 

I just bought a number of older ammo cases. In order to have a better idea about age and what cal of bullets they contained, i decided to randomly grab one ammo box and started to clean it up a bit.
Just used a bit of spit and a tissue and rubbed the side of the ammo box. I was amazed to see the yellow lettering coming off (just by using a slightly moist tissue). I have never ever encountered something like this. Does anyone now what's wrong here? I did not try to clean up the others because i fear they might show the same result. By the way, can anyone tell me, by looking at the stenciled info, what year this can was made. Similar boxes show 68 in the LOT N° region, so I suppose these are Vietnam war period ammo cases.
Thank you for any help.
Fox

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:46 pm 

It's an M19A1 can, used with 7.62 NATO from the 1960s onwards.

Ammo is Lake City (LC). "1 M62 4 M80" means 4x M80 ball rounds and then 1 M62 tracer round (1 tracer per 5 rounds). M13 is the type of machine gun link used, obviously for the M60.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:41 am 

Thanks for the info Longbow. I had also hoped that someone could tell me as to why the paint comes off and what I can do to prevent that when I clean them. I can not imagine I am the first one to encounter this problem.