WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 21:33 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Water Can
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 17:06 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I salvaged this from a tip pile ... its pretty much beat up as can be seen but not too far gone maybe for restoration, or should I leave it as it is, wondering what folks think, ..??

Its marked U.S. W Nesco 1944 ... obviousley the W stands for water and that would also go with the blue color which seems to be original ?

It wont hold liquid at present, some rust and decay at the bottom seam, but not too much so that it couldn't be repaired I think by a competent welder, which I'm not :roll: .. just thought it may be of interest ... :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Water Can
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 17:09 pm 

If you intend to use it, you can treat the inside with a food-grade epoxy sealer after welding or brazing the holes shut.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 18:58 pm 

Me, I just give it a wipe over with a oily rag, if you paint it, you take its history away, only my opinion :wink:

Gerwyn

the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganiki. Black Adder

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 20:48 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Thanks guys ... my thoughts too in all honesty ... I will try and get the rot sealed again, then just give it a rub over, its not something I can use myself, but hey, its original, it was being scrapped and I thought it would be worth salvaging.
Everything was new once of course, but it didn't stay that way for long and this will probably look good on a display somewhere.. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:26 pm 

With my original WW1 and WW2 items I do not touch them other and given the metal parts a wipe over with a oily rag, I like to keep their history, and they have been used in exhibitions, on the other hand, if I was a WW2 reenactor and needed a water can, it would have to look new to that era, then I would sandpaper it down and repaint it to the correct colour.

Gerwyn

the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganiki. Black Adder

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 16:47 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Wouldn't it depend on your display, the presentation, or representation .. New ... yes, at one point, but for how long especially given the rough use they would have had .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 18:06 pm 

I agree with what your saying Allen, but I would still get it back to somewhere near its original condition, then use it at reenactments after a while it would get the wear and tear look, its the same as the euroclone American helmet I have done, they look new issue but after a while with a WW2 reenactor using them, they will get that wear and tear look. Your water can as over 70 years of wear and tear, ideal for a exhibition.

Gerwyn

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 18:58 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Well as I say, not something I can use in my display so I may let it go as is ... or do it up a little and then move it on .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 am 

I would leave that to the new owner, so he can do it as he sees fit.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 13:49 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

... good point .. erm ... open to offers :)

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 15:29 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

It occurs to me that people may want to see the damage this has of course, to me it is minor and not above repair, to me it is worth doing perhaps, to others it may not be .. it depends on your approach to collecting, to me it has always been more important what a thing is rather than its condition, that has suited my wallet in the past frankly, condition is a consideration but is it the be all and end all when and where something is being used rather than just displayed ..??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 18:21 pm 

That seems repairable indeed although the pitted metal will always be weaker. Nice save!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:10 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
I've recently restored one myself (1950s one).

I've patched up the holes in the sides with some sheet material (super glued it in place on the inside of the can)
I then gave the insides two coats food-grade epoxy (leave to cure for at least a few days)

I gave the outside a good sanding and degreased it with ammonia before spraying it with MIX 1 (OD paint from my favorite jeep parts shop)

I've replaced the rubber/cork seal with a ring I've sourced from a garden center. Had to cut it down to size and used rubber cement to stick it into place.

For the more extreme pitting I would smoothen the surface with some filler at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 19:55 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
I have been collecting petrol cans, water bottles, webbing, a WD chair, a great coat etc etc which are past saving to use as "battle damaged" - shrapnel-holed (rust, moth etc) - which we never see in reenactments - think the retreat to Dunkirk, Arnhem etc, roads littered with debris. Not suggesting this for your water can Allen, but worth bearing in mind for other kit that has had its day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 20:23 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hello Rick .. that looks neat, well done, initially it was probably in better condition than mine though ... I haven't done anything with it yet to be honest, although I do have someone who can weld the damage for me so its watertight again.

Owen ... I am with you there .,.. yes everything was new at one point in time, but the truth is of course it didn't stay that way for long and there is something to be said for used/damaged/worn items of any sort in reality on a display for that more realistic 'lived in' look ...

I would probably let it go, as is, or perhaps get the welding done first to make it more usable ... may drag it along to YWE to see if there is any interest ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:02 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
Yes, mine was in a better condition to start with. Only one small badly-rusted spot near the top where I could poke holes through it with my fingers

Finding one in good (usable) condition isn't easy, but not impossible, but there are certainly plenty of these water cans out there that can be restored with less elbow greaase than your sample.