WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 17:52 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hi all i received 2 emails off a decent guy in Canada that contained all the files instructions etc to make a full British 24 hour ration packthat fits in the small mess tin,got the card and stuff while i was out today.One thing it mentions though is to paint the tinned meat etc OD where they like that i,ve never seen a OD can.It also mentions latrine paper to use brown hand towels and cut to size,wasn,t the latrine paper that horrible scratchy bum greaseproof stuff? :lol: He enclosed pics of the finished 24 hour ration box all waxed etc, it looks pretty good finished,i,m going to have a go this weekend,anybody wants it forwarding on to them let me know.

Cheers

Once more onto the internet I go looking to use women and break up families. Thats what makes me a good actor and with my track record of past mistakes a very good reinactor of doing the same thing over and over again. I can't be a real person so I have to pretend to be someone else. Thank goodness for the internet without it I would be alone.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 18:19 pm 
3000+ Poster

From what I've seen the meat componant was card or paper wrapped and not tinned. I also think it might have been dehydrated some how as I remember reading one account of a veteran who said he ate his evening meal on D-Day by cutting shavings off it then drinking it along with water which caused it to swell, so could be dangerous if too much was eaten then large amounts of water were drunk. I also recall a similar thing with the Oatmeal block, one chap had been eating them on the way over, a piece got stuck in his throat and swelled because of moisture and it choked him, what a frigging s***e way to die, killed by dehydrated porridge :? . I suppose the meat would have been like some sort of jerky. Have been thinking how to do the Tea and Oatmeal blocks, imagine quite a lot of pressure would be needed to form them. Does he ghive the dimmensions for the contents or just the box itself?

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 18:49 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

dimensions for everything Jon

Once more onto the internet I go looking to use women and break up families. Thats what makes me a good actor and with my track record of past mistakes a very good reinactor of doing the same thing over and over again. I can't be a real person so I have to pretend to be someone else. Thank goodness for the internet without it I would be alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 18:53 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

How to make the 24 hour rations

Material required:

• Glue sticks (get some good one!!!!)
• Scissors
• Brown Craft paper 8½ X 11 (packing paper. Also the same as the old paper grocery bag) X5
• File folder Craft Brown X3 (or heavy brown craft cardstock)
• White heavy cardstock X2
• Printer sheet X1
• Wax block
• Torch
• Foil paper
• Brown disposable hand towel (paper) X4
• OD spray paint
• Tuna Can (other the same size good enough)
• Matches white (they were all white)

How to:

1. Box
Start with 2 of your file folders and cut a panel of 8½ X 11 in each. Make sure that there is no writing on both side and no wrinkle. Once your panels are cut, print the labels. Cut the labels. Glue the sides together to form 2 boxes (1 top, 1 bottom). To wax the box, put your block of wax into a container (make sure the container is big enough to put your box inside). With the torch, melt your wax until it’s pretty hot. One box at the time, dip into the hot wax. Make sure that the wax socked through. Heat the wax again before doing the other side. Let dry.

2. Instruction sheet
Cut a panel of 8½ X 11 into your 3rd file folder. Print label. Note that the label is DOUBLE SIDED. Once that’s done, cut the instruction sheet out. Your card should have the following dimension: 14.5 Cm X 9.5 Cm. The instruction sheet goes inside the cover.

3. Meat ration
Paint your can OD. While that is drying, print the label on craft paper. Decide which label you want on your can than cut it. Once the paint is dry, glue label on can.

4. Tea ration
Print label on White cardstock. Make sure you print it in color. Cut, fold and glue. To fill it: wood block for display. If you want to put some real stuff, take some foil paper, put a bit of powder milk, sugar and tea/instant coffee into it. Wrap the foil and put inside the box.

5. Boiled Sweets
Print on white cardstock. Cut, fold and glue. To fill it: wood block for display or candies inside if you want to.

6. Can opener / salt
Print label on brown craft paper. Cut, fold and glue. Put a P38 can opener inside. Put a salt inside the salt.

7. Soup
Print on brown craft paper. Cut a strip of paper. Make sure you cut 0.5cm above and under the word. Your strip should be 1.5cm. to fill: wrap around a block of 2cm x 2cm x 2cm. to make the block: take some broth and wrap into foil paper. You can always use the good old wood block inside the foil.

8. Gum
Print in color on a white piece of paper. Wrap around a stick a gum.

9. TP
Print label on brown craft paper. Cut label out. Now take your 4 sheets of brown hand paper towel cut each of them so they are 6” x 12”. Once they are all cut, fold them in half so they are 3” wide. Fold in half twice on the other side after that. You should have a square of 3” x 3”. Stack the TP and wrap label around.

10. Biscuit (both type)
Print on brown craft paper. Cut label. Wrap around little rectangular cookies. 4 per pack! If you want to do display and put wood, wrap the wood with craft paper before than wrap label around.

Here you go you have yourself a 24 hour ration!!!! Store into the small mess tin!

like i said i have all the pdf's for this too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 20:59 pm 

Group: NWW2A (6th Abn), Comrades in Arms
bog paper you want is Izal-careful though it just spreads it aboot and can cut ones arse. Folks can remember using old newspapers during war as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 21:08 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

i remember using old newspaper when i was a kid in the outside bog sometimes ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 22:09 pm 

blackhawkone wrote:
i remember using old newspaper when i was a kid in the outside bog sometimes ;)

:D Me too, bloody cold in winter though, no inside toilet for us.

Liked the ration pack. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 22:17 pm 

Group: NWW2A (6th Abn), Comrades in Arms
I can remember using the izal at my grandma's outside kharzie over at Dowker Street in Fax....now that was a period house! Toilet was from 30's, bathroom suite slightly later (late 40s), whitewashed cellar cupboard (kitchen itself was in the cellar), sofa with the sort of foam that was technically illegal c.1950, Grandma herself 1908....

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:03 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

blackhawkone wrote:
It also mentions latrine paper to use brown hand towels and cut to size,wasn,t the latrine paper that horrible scratchy bum greaseproof stuff? :lol:

The Vet who used to live across the Road still bought that, he couldn't be doing with " Nancy Boy Paper" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 14:44 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
lol.......i like my nancy boy paper!

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 15:04 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

me too Josh but only coz the mrs buys the nice stuff :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 15:27 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

doubt if i'll be doing my ration pack this weekend,just been told i,ve still got to decorate the kitchen :(,she even went out and bought the paint too :)

Post subject: ration box
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 15:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: proud member of the World War 2 Group
Never mind Jon she's letting you out next weekend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

Private: Mark Farnworth, 2nd Batt South Staffordshire Reg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 15:52 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

i know Mark, all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy ;) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 16:37 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
maybe you could 'claim' a 'reward' from the mrs later....

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 16:46 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

good idea Josh ;) 'rewards' are always welcomed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next