WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 20:45 pm 

Group: The Buffs 1939-1945
Hello all

It has come to my attention that certain companies are selling production WWII windproof smocks (shoot and scoot, and some others) but not in the typical camouflage pattern, similar to that of the Denison, but instead in a range of other colours i.e sand, olive and black. I was wondering if anyone knows who wore such colours and where? I understand that the SAS are said to have worn the sand coloured smocks in the desert but I am not 100% sure but like I said, does anyone have any evidence or at least know of any other units wearing such smocks.

Thank you very much

-Freddie

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 16:37 pm 

Group: 4th Wiltshire's LHG
Hi Freddie
The British wartime Windproof Smock came in several different colours - pretty much the same "pattern"/pocket layout etc for each. They all had hoods and the tape drawstrings. They also had matching over trousers
- The standard Camouflage version
- Khaki/Sand
- White Snow Camouflage
- Olive green

There are good descriptions and photos of these in David Gordon's series of books on WW2 British Uniforms/Equipment/Weapons

In terms of issue they were part of the Cold weather kit and initially issued to certain units based on need/capability - 52nd Lowland Division in NW Europe certainly had issues of the camouflage/Khaki versions as they were designated and equipped originally as a Mountain Division ( and presumably got issues of the Snow version aswell) The irony being that having been specially trained to operate in the mountains of Norway they did most of their fighting below sea level in Holland !
There are photos of 5th Infantry Division troops wearing the Khaki version in Italy and various units wearing the Snow version such as 6th Airborne during the period of the Battle of the Bulge.
By the last winter of the war though many units in Europe were issued with sets and there are plenty of photos showing 43rd Wessex/15th Scottish/49th West Riding divisions equipped with Camo and Snow versions. It seems that they were being issued as general cold weather kit and they were popular with the Troops. The French Paras/Legionnaires at Dien Bien Phu were still wearing them in the 50's and they even went on to be worn by the SAS long after that - some apparently making it to the First Gulf war (so I'm told)
Hope that helps a bit but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people out there that can help further.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 17:19 pm 

Group: The Buffs 1939-1945
Thanks Rob!

Really helpful, I have been pondering over this for a little while now.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 am 
1000+ Poster

I've never worn one of these. I take it they are a single layer of thin-ish fabric? I'm assuming cold weather as part of a layer system, just keeps the wind off with a finely woven cloth. Therefore not much warmth from a repro?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 am 
1000+ Poster

The Olive Green ones tend to be made of denim rather than the lightweight windproof material the others were produced in.
I have never personally seen an Olive lightweight one but willing to be persuaded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 18:00 pm 

Group: 4th Wiltshire's LHG
The "proper" Windproof Smocks are made of a cotton material - as you say, better for windproofing rather than just warmth - although even without BD they work quite well in terms of keeping you warm too.
The Olive green one in my collection is made of the same material - But I have seen the Denim type aswell.
I'm sure like a lot of this kit there were variations on the theme. Being in the line was all about making yourself as comfortable as you could - whatever the source of material !
Still one of the better bits of British kit in my view - although some might say that's not much of a recommendation !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 am 
1000+ Poster

Any chance of a picture of your green one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Could anything made of denim ever be considered "windproof"??

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad