WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:46 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 19:49 pm 

I have ordered a service dress cap, but it will still be a while before it will arrive. In the meantime, I wanted to explore my other options should an opportunity for service dress come along. I also have my field service cap, which I have seen to be popular with the RFC when wearing their flying uniforms and scarcely in service dress. Until 1902, the Glengarry was quite popular as well. The problem is that according to what I have read the era of the side cap came to an end in 1902 before being revived in 1937. I have seen a photograph of an officer of the No. 59 Squadron, RFC wearing a Glengarry. This however seemed liked an exception. If someone could shed some light on the post 1902 use of Glengarries or field service caps by officers I would appreciate it.

Whilst we are at it, I have seen a few officers continuing to wear the pre-1913 style tunic with the traditional military collar. When did this really come to an end? I know that they were supposed to be altered in 1913, yet I have seen officers still wearing them in later years, at least during the war. I assumed that this must have ended in the 1920s, but then I found a Bamforth post-card showing 1940s-era 1950s British infantry with battle dress et al, along with an officer with said pre-1913 tunic! It did have the shoulder rank, however. Now, this post-card was hand-drawn - could artistic liberty have come into play or was it, even if exceedingly rare, still a permitted freedom within officer's dress regulations?

I would be very grateful for any opinions on this. Just to clarify - I am asking these questions in regard to Great War re-enacting. Thank you in advance!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username