WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:08 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 23:23 pm 

Group: notts and derby reenactment society
I acquired a range finder a couple months back

it is called a gap measure no3 Made by d S & S or D & SS not sure as the markings aren't very large the serial number is no:b011

its rage is 30 to 120 yards (not very far) so it cannot be for a mortar of artillery piece
it has the crows foot markings on the case and kings crown on the equipment its self
I'm not sure what period it is or what it was used for, but I seem to think it is for bridge building
again it could be Canadian and ported over but the crows foot is the British one not the Canadian one on the case.

any leads or websites will be excellent but I have tried the royal engineers museum but in about 4 months after purchase I haven't heard back form them.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:14 am 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Does it have a rectangular/square-ish cross-section case? And the actual item is sort of square-periscope looking?
If so, it is what I think you're trying to describe.
It's an item of surveying equipment, as you suspected used by the RE, for any number of distance measuring tasks (like you say bridge building; estimating the span required, etc... field surveying for building airfields, etc all that kind of stuff which we'd call "civil engineering" nowadays).

Not front-line combat equipment, but still a nice item for any RE collection.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 20:55 pm 

yes the case is along square box with cut-out sections in it for use inside the case.

it dose look like a periscope but with one entry point two exit points

here is a picture of my gap measure with case behind it

what sort of money are they going for if you know and how rare are they

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 22:07 pm 

Yep, that's the kiddie!
Last time I saw one, a little lad with his mum had bought one on an antiques market and was asking people at Rufford '40s weekend what specifically it was, so I told him the same. He paid about £60 (!!!) for it if I remember correctly? He was really interested in getting into reenacting ( and had also purchased a 4A mine detector! :D ).

They're not common items what with being job specific, but I wouldn't say they're 'rare', just not that desired by reenactors (unless portraying RE Surveyor!), but I'm sure they'd get collectors of vintage optics (with their love of heliographs, Barr & Stroud type rangefinders, etc...) hot under the collar!

Me myself, I have an interest in RE kit (ergo my limited knowledge of what it is and able to describe it pre-photos), but I wouldn't have paid the £60 the little lad did for it (and don't have much of an interest in the surveyor equipment - wood tripods and telescopes are always far too expensive!). I'd be happier around the £25 (worn) - £40 (mint) mark to acquire one if I wanted one (especially as you can buy a whole Barr & Stroud No.12 Mk4 rangefinder on eBay for ~£80), but then again i'm quite tight and love a bargain...!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 22:34 pm 

that little lad, is me. trying to get more information on it.
thanks for the information, by the way I only paid £40 for it so all is good on that front.

that 4a detector has now got 3 new friends a second 4a detector, a 4c detector and a 1945 Willys MB.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:11 am 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry, F.I.R.E.44
Welcome to the forum Jordan! Hope that jeep is progressing well!

All the best and see you soon!
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 16:30 pm 

the body is arriving next Tuesday, as well as the fuel tank, pipes and other pieces so we hope to have it up and running within about a month

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 16:08 pm 

Awesome! Small world, eh?! I remember talking to you and your mum about BDs and such, what did you go for in the end? That must've been two years ago? Looks like you've got yourself well and truly stuck into this hobby of ours!

Fantastic news about the Jeep and ever increasing mine detector collection - hope to catch up with you again at an event this year perhaps!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 19:20 pm 

I have acquired 2 battle dresses and trousers for around £70 to £100 per set.
one is badged up to be airborne engineers and the other isn't badged up yet (not sure yet what I want to do it as maybe REME or ordinary engineers not airborne)
with my engineers collection getting bigger I want to go with the engineer corps meaning I don't have to buy loads more kit as I all ready have too much :) .