WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 13:14 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:11 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Now, that was how I had been informed somewhere in the past that WWII puttees were finished off, no matter wether long or short, by just twisting through and over. Not at all like the way we "boxed" the end neatly in the '80s.

http://www.afra.org.uk

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:33 am 
3000+ Poster

But he's an officer in the R.A.F., you can't take that as indicative of what the Armed Forces were doing in the period. I'm not sure what 'boxed' looks like, but mostly what I've seen in photographs shows them tied off leaving just one strip of tape vertical across the tape going around your leg, just behind the pointy bit on the outside of your ankle. I used to do that but now I just form the loose end into a loop, feed that down through the puttee tape, pass the loose end through the loop and tuck it in, which doesn't look very tidy but keeps the tape tight.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:39 am 
5000+ Poster

Group: An Airfield Somewhere
My point is more the fact that they're gashly done. But then again you get to the nub of it:

TALLERTHANBETTY wrote:
he's an officer in the R.A.F.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 19:36 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Oh, God, pretty much everyone it seems
Boxing in WWI; notice the box is not next to the V - the trailing bit probably is travelling under the bottom layer of tape until it gets to the V. The location of the V on the inner part of the leg is probably due to a situation all to common to WWI re-enactors (and, by logical extension, soldiers on active service during the period) when putting on long puttees best summed up as "f**k it, that'll do"

Will endeavour to find other WWI images

NATIVE: Those are the sacred pyramids where my ancestors are buried.
BRITISH OFFICER: Cool. There any kinda zombie curse or anything we should know about? I mean, I want to pillage'em, but I don't want to cause no problems.
NATIVE: Our people lie merely asleep in their graves, waiting to shriek forth and bring agonising death to any who would dare disturb their peace.
BRITISH OFFICER: Be serious.
NATIVE: ...in truth the curse is probably apocryphal.
BRITISH OFFICER: Wicked. Carter, bust out the Gatling guns! I want to be revered as a God by teatime.

True story

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 19:41 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Oh, God, pretty much everyone it seems
The chap on the right has clearly done his puttee up in the opposite manner to that proscribed:

NATIVE: Those are the sacred pyramids where my ancestors are buried.
BRITISH OFFICER: Cool. There any kinda zombie curse or anything we should know about? I mean, I want to pillage'em, but I don't want to cause no problems.
NATIVE: Our people lie merely asleep in their graves, waiting to shriek forth and bring agonising death to any who would dare disturb their peace.
BRITISH OFFICER: Be serious.
NATIVE: ...in truth the curse is probably apocryphal.
BRITISH OFFICER: Wicked. Carter, bust out the Gatling guns! I want to be revered as a God by teatime.

True story