WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 13:59 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
My other half is happy to knit balaclavas for anyone wanting one... she can do them in most colours (bright orange if you want to look like Kenny from South Park), even has the pattern for the one with ear-flaps for wireless operators. Happy to post photos of the ones she's made so far.

If anyone's interested, PM me for more details - I can then get her to remind me how much she said she'd charge. I guess she'd be happy to consider any other knitted items too.

Tim

1942 M3A1 White Scout Car
1942 M4A4 VC Firefly

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Spectacles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:35 pm 

Group: VERA
Oggy wrote:
I have found a source of Period Spectacles, which won't break the bank.
They are these:
http://www.uvex.co.uk/Products/Prescrip ... fault.aspx
Don't try to order this through your local Optician - they can't get them! The procedure is to go to your local Vision Express, with your prescription, ask for UVEX 9100 Respirator Frames & bob's yer uncle

http://www.uvex-safety.co.uk/fileadmin/ ... 012-13.pdf

Page 16

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 19:58 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
In TK Maxx on the highstreet, or various online retailers/eBay, Ralph Lauren produced a copy of the Commando draw-string necked jumper. Although produced as fashion items, they're the best reproduction I've ever seen. The cotton drill is perfect in colour and feel, while the wool part of the jumper is a very close match in colour and they've even managed to reproduce very realistic "vegetable ivory" buttons! Originally priced at around £160, these have come down considerably in price due to them being last seasons/years garments.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 17:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: proud member of the World War 2 Group
Anybody know whos doing the RAF tirtle neck sweater.

Private: Mark Farnworth, 2nd Batt South Staffordshire Reg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 19:45 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
Well spotted McVickers, found one on ebay quite easily!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 19:47 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
Wiganer, what price glory do one as do Eastman Leather, cant vouch as to quality or appearence though.
http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_i ... cts_id=152
http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_i ... cts_id=152

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 21:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: proud member of the World War 2 Group
Thanks Paul, wow thats expensive

Private: Mark Farnworth, 2nd Batt South Staffordshire Reg.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 18:29 pm 

I was not sure where to post this question, but I figured that this may be the best topic to ask it in: Are my spectacles acceptable or farb? I have a period correct German Dienstbrille, but the fit is sub-optimal and I look very, well, amusing while wearing them. Additionally, the field of view is too small for my taste. That being said, I would very much like to continue wearing my current spectacles, but I do not want to spoil my impression with improper eye-wear. I have attached a photo of my current spectacles:

EDIT: My mobile-phone will not let me re-size the image, making it impossible to upload. Therefore I have decided to give you a little description: The frame is of a thin metal construction and is fitted with rectangular lenses. Much like this example here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... lasses.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 18:34 pm 
1000+ Poster

Not too disimilar to what I wear, and they just look modern. I've had to get specs done. I got a pair of gas mask specs done to my perscription and use them for British and German.
Or you can try contact lenses.