WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 21:20 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
Good evening all - first of all let me apologise as this is clearly off-topic in that its a question about WW1 when its a WW2 forum.

However - there is a huge wealth of information and knowledge available here and I was wondering if someone might cast a glance over some photos and give us some clues!

My great grandfather was in the RAMC in WW1. According to our papers, he enlisted quite late (early 1918 I believe) and saw little action in France etc. However - in 1919 he was involved at Archangel and the Russian Intervention. This was where he did most of his service and from what I understand it was not the nicest of places to be spending time.

Here he is as a Lance Corporal with some of his fellow RAMC in about 1918/1919. The chap on the top right is wearing his winter hat, which can be seen better in the next photo.

(Above) Here we see them in their Winter Clothing.
A magnificent collar on that coat - and probably very necessary in Russia!

Anyway - the photo I'm querying is this next one. The reason I'm querying it is that the armband appears to be a Derby Scheme Armband - which came in in 1915? The rank stripes on the sleeves appear to be very different to the normal style of WW1 Rank Stripes and his cap badge appears to be Essex Yeomanry?

(Above) The armlet appears to be that of the Derby Scheme - which was I thought was phased out with conscription in 1916. However I may be wrong and any advice is much appreciated.
You can also just about make out a patch on the shoulder, almost where a divisional patch would be. Though the chances of making this out are slim.

(Above) On his sleeves you can see the 'two bar' and a button, badge or white dot style of rank. Anyone know what this was? Also in this photo you can just about make out a square badge on his right sleeve that appears to be a black X with a white bar accross it? Anyone got any idea what this would be?

(Above) No doubt the recognisable three scimitars of the Essex Yeomanry.

(Above) Some sort of badge on his right breast pocket. Sort of looks a bit like an American Purple Heart but this is incredibly unlikely.

If anyone is able to shed any light on this uniform or the patches and badges on it I would be very much appreciative. I would love to know more about my great grandfather as he never told his family much about what he got up to in the war and I'm hoping this photo perhaps provides some clues.

Many thanks in advance for your help and assitance.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 21:54 pm 

Someone has pointed out to me that it may be Volunteer training Corps - the armband was supposed to be a GR one but perhaps they used left over derby stock!

The badge on his breast pocket matches the ones for the VTC and the sleeve badge is not an X with a line through it - it's an M with a bullet over it - signifying a marksman.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 am 
1000+ Poster

I agree fully with the comments on the second picture. Some describe this organisation as the Home Guard of WW1.

For the best source for information I would suggest this site.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... e1&act=idx

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:32 pm 

Fantastic - thank you! Just waiting for my registration to be accepted and I'll repost my q on there I see if I can find out more. Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 19:11 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Was just about to say VTC! They had a wide variety of stuff as well! Some of the Staffordshire VTC had almost Napoleonic Rifle Green uniforms. Also got a fantastic picture of Staffordshire VTC in 1914 with full SD uniforms but Slade Wallace webbing! haha!

But yeah, I'd agree VTC. Lovely photo! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 19:49 pm 

The 1914-1918 forum was very helpful! Thankyou Reme245 for suggesting it.

Quote:
Firstly, it is not the Essex Yeomanry cap badge, which has the arms of Essex within a circlet surmounted by a King's Crown.

Your Gt Grandfather was a member of the Essex Volunteer Regiment (see King and Kipling "Head-dress of the British Army" Fig 1617).

He was a Platoon Sergeant which is marked by the two plain rings and a disk. Also being worn, on his right pocket flap, is the standard Central Association Volunteer Training Corps proficiency badge.

I cannot comment as to why he is wearing a Derby Scheme arm band instead of a GR arm band. May be he had attested under the Derby Scheme and was wearing it to show he had attested.

A copy of the official regulations for the Volunteer Training Corps can be downloaded here
https://archive.org/details/officialregulati00centrich

Quote:
A later armband was adopted for the Volunteer Force, which was an adaptation of the Derby Scheme armband in that the addition of the letter's 'G' & 'R', in scarlet cloth, were placed either side of the crown. Or as you have suggested he may actually have enlisted under the Derby Scheme and was then transferred to Class 'B' of the Army Reserve, enabling him to enlist into the local Volunteers.